• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

inconsistent spacing between words

New Here ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sure im doing something wrong, but I cant figure out what. My text is completely distorted, unless I allign it left, right or center. However, I'd like to keep it justified. I have the font (Iowan Old Style, Roman) at 13.6 points and leading at 12. When the leading is at auto (16.32), the text becomes double spaced. It is alligned to the baseline grid as well. How can I keep my text the way it is without the inconsistent spacing between words and it being more neatly single spaced? Thank you.

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 2.03.26 AM.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adjust your justifaction setting by changing the word spacing and letter spacing, untill it looks fine to you. For examples see the following posts, they should give you an idea

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/inconsistent-spacing-between-words/td-p/11101702?page=1

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/inconsistent-spaces-between-words/td-p/10394882?page=1

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

13.6pt (a strange size) on 12pt means the ascenders are touching the descenders, making the text difficult to read. I suggest you increase the leading, if you increase the leading to, say, 14pt you can then also increase the spacing of the baseline grid to 14pt and the text will align to it if you apply the text to the baseline grid. (The reason it's been jumping is because your existing leading of 12pt doesn't match the baseline grid when you increase the line space and not the baseline grid.)

The narrow column width makes justification apply lots of hyphens. Without seeing the context (the whole page) it's difficult to judge your design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Follow Derek Cross' suggestion to increase the leading. The line lengths are too narrow for justification. You should have at least about 50 characters per line (including spaces). You can either use a smaller point size for the text or a wider column to get more characters per line. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines