Highlighted

Incorrect type size showing

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 09.46.48.pngScreenshot 2020-05-15 at 09.47.00.png

I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this issue? In the past week, the type size hasn't been displaying properly in any of my documents. In this example, I've highlighted a title which is actually 31pts, however it shows up as being 12pts, with the actual size of the type in brackets after. I have paragraph styles set up for all the type styles in the document, and I'm unsure whether the problem has started in there?

Thank you! 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

you scaled the text frame with InDesign preferences changed for scaling that are not default.

Default is: Preferences > General > When Scaling: [x] Apply to Content

Your setting when scaling text frames was:

Preferences > General > When Scaling:

[    ] Apply to Content

[ x ] Adjust Scaling Percentage

Even if you turned this setting off after scaling the text frame you see this effect.

From the InDesign help files:

Select Adjust Scaling Percentage to display the original point size with the new point size in parentheses when you scale text. If this option is selected when you scale graphics frames, the percentage size of both the frame and image changes.

How can you solve this problem, if it is a problem to you:

Draw out a new text frame and copy the scaled contents to the new frame.

Change the point size to the desired value.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Topics

Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Incorrect type size showing

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 09.46.48.pngScreenshot 2020-05-15 at 09.47.00.png

I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this issue? In the past week, the type size hasn't been displaying properly in any of my documents. In this example, I've highlighted a title which is actually 31pts, however it shows up as being 12pts, with the actual size of the type in brackets after. I have paragraph styles set up for all the type styles in the document, and I'm unsure whether the problem has started in there?

Thank you! 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

you scaled the text frame with InDesign preferences changed for scaling that are not default.

[    ] Apply to Content

Even if you turned this setting off after scaling the text frame you see this effect.

Select Adjust Scaling Percentage to display the original point size with the new point size in parentheses when you scale text. If this option is selected when you scale graphics frames, the percentage size of both the frame and image changes.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Topics

Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

[    ] Apply to Content

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the frame or text selected choose Redefine Scaling as 100% from the Transform panel’s flyout menu.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

good idea, but with a possible problem.

If the scaling of the text frame was done not proportionally then you are in deep trouble.

To the OP:

I said: "Draw out a new text frame and copy the scaled contents to the new frame."

That's enough. No need to change the point size.

( I was not correct in my first advice. )

Changed my mind.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

ok,  I have to admit:  "in deep trouble" is relative. Nothing one cannot fix:

If the text frame was not scaled proportionally the text scaling must be reset to 100% after you applied Redefined Scaling at 100%. Also: It would not hurt to check the text's skew value as well.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the text frame was not scaled proportionally the text scaling must be reset to 100%

Hi Uwe, It does indeed get messy. When the text gets scaled because of the Adjust Scaling Percentage preference, the Styles don’t show as overridden! And the text horizontal and vertical scaling show as unchanged. This all could go unnoticed if the the transform was slight:

Screen Shot 19.png

Redefining the scaling changes the text spec’s, and the Styles now show as overridden:

Screen Shot 20.png

So if there are Styles applied, their Overrides could be cleared:

Screen Shot 21.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this once. No amount of overriding the style worked, even trying to make it go back to the [None] style worked. After much frustration, and many different tricks and workarounds, this was what worked for me.

I ended up having to:

1. Copy the text
  2. Delete the text box
  3. Reset the default text settings, (it could be different for others, but this is my default)
    wbruscato_0-1589553141623.png

4. Make sure the "Adjust Scaling Percentage" is NOT selected in preferences
    wbruscato_1-1589553239791.png

5. Redraw the text box
  6. Paste using the "Paste without formatting" option under the edit menu 
    wbruscato_2-1589553318205.png

Hopefully that makes sense, I've always read the forums to learn and haven't posted much but since this was something that caused me much frustration, I thought I'd share what I'd learned through trial and error. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Redefine Scaling as 100%, followed by clearing the Paragraph Style override—Option click the style:

Screen Shot 22.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, this has solved my issue completely! Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your help, this has worked for me 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines