Highlighted

InD 2020 won't open .idml - havent seen useful, detailed info for newbie on how to fix

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to be asking what seems a repetitive question, but the answers don't give me enough info to fix. I created an .idml document for coworkers to do edits, and I can't even open the document in InD 2020 after I saved it. All the answers I've seen seem to presume that I'm a programmer and expert in debugging 2020.

The error message says either I'm missing a plugin or the document is open in another program.

Help

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InD 2020 won't open .idml - havent seen useful, detailed info for newbie on how to fix

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to be asking what seems a repetitive question, but the answers don't give me enough info to fix. I created an .idml document for coworkers to do edits, and I can't even open the document in InD 2020 after I saved it. All the answers I've seen seem to presume that I'm a programmer and expert in debugging 2020.

The error message says either I'm missing a plugin or the document is open in another program.

Help

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 20, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like all you did was change the file extension from INDD to IDML. 

And why aren't your co-workers on the same version of InDesign? If they were you'd just share the INDD file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are on the same version of InDesign.

I saved the dicument using the third option InDesign CS4 or later.

I didn't change any file extension except through save-as.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then why are you sharing IDML?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though we're on the same version, we've consistently have problems with others being able to open the same .indd file on previoius documents.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then that's the issue you need to explore. How are you sharing files with them?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0