Highlighted

INDD 2021 - Stay Away!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stay away from INDD 2021! Causing all kinds of headaches. I uninstalled it and went back to 2020.

Hey Adobe, we are not your QA / software testing team. We are your paying customers.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

INDD 2021 - Stay Away!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stay away from INDD 2021! Causing all kinds of headaches. I uninstalled it and went back to 2020.

Hey Adobe, we are not your QA / software testing team. We are your paying customers.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user-to-user forum – you are not talking to Adobe on here.

What kind of "headaches" are you having with InDesign 2021?

Which version is your OS?

How much RAM and spare disk capacity do you have?

Have you tried trashing the InDesign preferences?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having issues with Indesign taking ages to write a PDF. We are still running High Seira on most iMacs and 1 has Mojave with RAM and drive space well above standard spec. We are using Suitcase. Anything adive would be welcome

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 1
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi defaultql0mdyng1ihx,

as far as I can see OS X High Sierra is not supported with InDesign 2021 version 16.0.0.77:

( Scoll down to section macOS: )

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/system-requirements.ug.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also what operating system are you running?

Without telling us more information, you're not helping us or the engineers who need to look for bugs.

I've been using INDD 2021 beginning in prerelease for a couple months with no problems on macOS 10.15.7.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10, 16 GB Ram - 3 issues:

1. Illogical "Save" and "Save As" locations > The new version forces users to overwrite all existing INDD files (when opened, a new "CONVERTED" file is automatically created). When saving the new v2021 file - both the "Save" and "Save As" options drop me off in the folder of the last save location - not the location of the file that I am overwriting. It should automatically bring up the file location of the file being converted. I remember this same issue when v2020 came out. It was eventually fixed; but this what compelled me to go back to v2020 - I never signed up to be an Adobe software tester nor am I paid to be one.

2. Everytime I open INDD, my custom workspace is gone (I retrieve the xml file from the 15.x version and place it in the v16 folders (I put it both in "program files" and "users > AppData" folders in the OS directory)). Again - a lot of unnecessary effort jumping around in Windows directories and my preferences wouldn't save. 

3. (not Adobe's fault - but it still stinks) It won't work with the DocsFlow importing program I paid $300 for just 7 months ago.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goodmorning,

I have same issue n 1 plus starting crashes and (minor) InDesign types of files icons wrong or missing

(running on WIN10)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm the first issue but I did choose to keep my preferences when installing and my workspaces and KBSCs migrated perfectly.

As for Docsflow, you are eligible for upgrade pricing for the new InDesign 2021 version. I believe the Pro version is $150.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

Similar problems - severe crashes and poor performance with data loss (deletes cut and paste to text frames - crashes if inserting index markers) IND 2021 to a lesser extent 2020 - resetting preferences and cache ineffective - iMac 2019 Catolina 16gb RAM and 2.5Tb storage. Rolling back to IND 2019 fixed all problems as far as I can see -

Cheers

Steve Hodby  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 1
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new version forces users to overwrite all existing INDD files (when opened, a new "CONVERTED" file is automatically created). 

This is what happens after each major upgrade—and has for years—because InDesign changes the document format to match the current version. It is a safeguard to protect us from overwriting the older version file (i.e., a 2020 doc) with the newer version file (i.e., a 2021 doc), in case you decide to return to the older version for a while, which you already did. 

Here's my tip:

• Keep auto-updates disabled in the CC Desktop app
  • Install the brand new version if you are curious, but keep the old one as well
  • Play with the new version—explore the cool new features when you have some downtime—but let someone else discover all of the issues in the upgrade, and wait to port your work over until you get the all clear

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0