• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IndDesign 2020 Slow Performance on macOS Catalina 10.15.1

Engaged ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, yes, I'm using Catalina 10.15.1 on a Mac pro 5,1 Tower via DosDude's Catalina Patcher, but ID 15.0 is slower than 14.x on the same configuration. It just seems that Adobe hasn't factored in 4K monitors yet. Even at native resolution—which I switched to recently from 3200 x 1800 because a few other apps like iTunes had issues with non-native resolutions—CC2020 is sluggish and jerky.

Selecting type, tracking, resizing windows. Slow slow slow slow.

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Hi Jeff.  I've just discovered that if you change the colour PREFS from LG UltraFine to Apple RGB in the display settings, all works brilliant. Was pulling what little hair I had until I just worked it out. Seems Adobe has bypassed the code to LG UltraFine Display for MAC OS Catalina. Pass this on please.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are so sorry to hear about these frustrating issues. That's definitely shouldn't be happing. Let us fix this one by one:

For slow performance while copy-pasting images to another layer: Could you please confirm if this issue is related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the creative cloud and share the download link. 

For issues related to Undo: I would suggest if you can upvote this issue and share your observations here (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38991835-undo-not-worki...). InDesign Engineering team is looking for your help in order to reproduce and fix this issue.

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Srishti,

Is the InDesign team planning on doing the same awesome performance update the Photoshop team did recently on version 21.x? For example, in Photoshop 21.1.0 the homescreen performs like other apps on the Mac platform, i.e. instantly, whereas ID, well, does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

As of now, we do not have any official word about this. I have sent you a DM for some more details about the issue, please check. 

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TRY THIS - WORKED FOR ME after trying just about everything else:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/catalina-indesign-2020-ad4servicemanager-needed-to-install-t...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has worked for me! I have a brand new (week old) iMac and it is running slower than my previous 5-year-old iMac. Let Adobe know about this - vote on my user voice post:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/39583759-cc-2020-catali...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're so sorry for the trouble. If you have already tried the steps above, then we will need to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help faster that way.  

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here for me. Brand new iMac, maxed out RAM, very speedy for Apple things, but InDesign is a really slow, laggy. InDesign runs faster on my 12 year old tower. I bought the iMac thinking my Adobe suite would run faster. That doesn't seem to be the case. I am running two 4k monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here: brand new iMac 5K 3,6 i9 with 40GB RAM and CC2020: ID and AI are working slowlier than on my MacBook Pro mid 2014! I'm using only a second small screen for all tools. I'm really disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue. Spent two days troubleshooting. My solution was to uninstall Indesign 2020 and install the 2019 version. Everything is working 100% better. I suspect the latest and greatest 2020 version still has a lot of unforseen bugs to work out on their end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're are sorry to hear about this. To investigate this issue further we would need a few more details from your end:

• OS and version of InDesign.
  • What all applications are running in the background when this happens.  
  • Does resetting InDesign Preferences help resolve the issue? If you have not tried that already, try the steps mentioned below:

For Windows 

• Close all Adobe applications. 
    • Go to Locations : 
    • C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe  
    • C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe. 
    •  Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old 
    • Launch InDesign from CC. 

For MAC  

• Close all adobe applications 
    • Go to Locations:  
    • ~/Library/Caches 
    • ~/Library/Preferences 
    • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
    • Launch InDesign from the CC 

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, exactly the same problem for In Design 2020, it's just impossible to work.

Cursor dissapear, extreme lags when moving and zooming, magnetig guides dissapear... All the important interface is unusable.

First I thought about GPU Problem but it's not. Trying everything, install/uninstall, CC Cleaner, Reboot safe mode, Cache cleaning (and window cleaning haha).

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

Please deliver an hotfix for that 😉 

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is so frustrating to see @Adobe people continue to roll out these standard scripts and unhelpful temporary fixes when the problem is a code problem. These fixes may work once but we can't be expected to have to do this every time we open and close the programs. We can't be expected to go through the 'Repair' problem daily. This is a bigger issue for the software team. About time someone actually took charge of this and advised us all proper advice, and including a date for the fix to be complete. These temporary fixes are insulting. Please stop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up and swopped back my 32" 4K and 32" 2K monitors because InDesign, Illustrator, and Bridge were complete carcrashes on the 4K monitor (while every other app including MS Office were perfectly fine). All Adobe apps are smooth and quick on the 2K monitor now, but I'm not happy about it. 

Photoshop, BTW, works fine on the 4K and it's New Document dialog appears instantly. Il and Id are still embarrassingly slow when activating New Document. 

Note: I have an RX 5700 XT GPU, so it ain't me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this fix when I first installed 2020 and it didn't help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff.  I've just discovered that if you change the colour PREFS from LG UltraFine to Apple RGB in the display settings, all works brilliant. Was pulling what little hair I had until I just worked it out. Seems Adobe has bypassed the code to LG UltraFine Display for MAC OS Catalina. Pass this on please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, THX it's totally does the trick and ID and AI stop lagging!!! Perfect!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to bear your child!

Oh my DOG that's a miracle!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even think straight I'm so happy.

This also solved the terrible Bridge and Illustrator performances I was having.

You're my favor ite human this year, Nicholas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

Nicholas, Jeff was kind to pay it forward and via him, I found out about the Colour trick (yes, colour, as you are receiving thanks from Canada!). It seems I am one of the fortunate ones that is seeing improvement.

Jeff has already offered to have your baby, that's off the table, but to show gratitude, I offer to be your fairy godmother 🙂 Romanian-Canadian fairy godmother.

Cheers, mate, so hope this is it! With teleworking the last few weeks, I was starting to become so impatient and frustrated and today's digging led me to the community, which led me to your posts.

Regards,

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be the case with my external monitor as well — using a BenQ display, and just changing its color from BenQ LCD to Apple RGB caused an instant change. THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. I'm grateful everyday that I found this bug as the alternative was shaping up as a catastrophe, work wise that is. Also, has anyone else noticed that all the Adobe CC icons in the DOCK are square BUT the Photoshop icon has round edges? Why do they continue to torture the designers out there? 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a game. The object is to find out what's common with the apps that have rounded corner icons: Photoshop, XD, Pemier Rush, Dimensions, and Lightroom. 

My guess is that they're all apps created by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! That worked! I changed my secondary LG 4K monitor to Adobe RGB and suddenly Adobe Indesign is useable again. God, I would never have figured that one out. Thanks!

To Adobe Support - stop wasting everybody's time with your generic "reset your preference file" BS. You know there are lots of problems with Adobe apps. Why not create a master list somewhere with symptoms&solutions that people can check? Not everyone has the time and the perseverance to wade through forums for solutions to mission-critical problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was like discovering a third arm when Nicholas posted the "fix."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it was a third arm, it would be cool.

Unfortunately, it's like the joy of getting back one of your two arms you once used to have.

The second one is still missing, as you'll have no calibrated display ... Apple RGB is not quite what you need for print production ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines