• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IndDesign 2020 Slow Performance on macOS Catalina 10.15.1

Engaged ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, yes, I'm using Catalina 10.15.1 on a Mac pro 5,1 Tower via DosDude's Catalina Patcher, but ID 15.0 is slower than 14.x on the same configuration. It just seems that Adobe hasn't factored in 4K monitors yet. Even at native resolution—which I switched to recently from 3200 x 1800 because a few other apps like iTunes had issues with non-native resolutions—CC2020 is sluggish and jerky.

Selecting type, tracking, resizing windows. Slow slow slow slow.

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Hi Jeff.  I've just discovered that if you change the colour PREFS from LG UltraFine to Apple RGB in the display settings, all works brilliant. Was pulling what little hair I had until I just worked it out. Seems Adobe has bypassed the code to LG UltraFine Display for MAC OS Catalina. Pass this on please.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HA! Awesome. Point taken. 

I'd like to note, though, that this issue only seems to affect 4K monitors. A 2K LG that I also use is utterly unafected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lucky you ... I'm using a 5k imac internal screen, and a smaller 2k second screen for stuff.

Currenty, i have to set both to Apple RGB to get to somewhat normal speed ... trying to calibrate any of them with any profile (even Apples own generic "iMac" one) slows things down to pain-level 10. 

(the imac is somewhat the fastest you can buy at apple at the moment, i9, "biggest" GPU, 32GB RAM, SSD). So it may be as good as it can get on iMac levels ... of course it's quite clear this is a bug or incompatibility, as my old 2015 imac with high sierra instead of catalina can handle it.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on MacPro (Trash-can) Catalina 10.15.4. Changing Color settings to Apple RGB solved all issues - works great for me. Workflow was basically down because of this issue, so thanks a lot for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why there is no correct answer to people's problem  Catalina has a serious problem with the cloud. Adobe fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not finding the changing to Apple RGB has any effect on my performance. InDesign, Lightroom, Photoshop--all really sluggish, especially if running them all the time. I'm running a new iMac, 10.15.4, RAM 32GB, SSD drives. Plus, the Apple RGB profile does not display accurately on my iMac or my second monitor. It's pointless to do color work with the standard Apple profile if you're aiming for any kind of accuracy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're extremely sorry about this behavior. We're trying, but still unable to replicate this issue. If changing the color profile doesn't help to resolve this issue, I would suggest to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help troubleshoot faster that way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? Deactivating Color Profiling in a design-software for color output products is your answer? That is your fix?

I work on an Eizo 318 4K for 5000$ with the best color profiling you can buy for money. And your software is not able to handle color profiling anymore so i can transform this beast in an 200$ billoshit display from walmart? 

That was the answer I expect from the softwaredelevopment of a company with that size and influence. LMAO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can changing the color profile on your display be an accepted fix for this? If you are a serious designer you do not screw around with generic color profiles like Apple RGB for your external display. The fact that an Adobe employee doesn't bother to mention this and instead seems to acknowledge this color profile switching as a fix makes me concerned. Catalina has been around for 8 months and there is still nom official fix for this? I can't believe I was stupid enough to consider it safe to upgrade to Catalina … after 8 months.  I'm not sure how the "correct answer" thing is working at this forum, maybe it's automated, but I suggest a moderator removes this Apple RGB "fix" as "correct answer". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record: I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) with Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB graphics, a non-4K BenQ display (so I suppose this problem has nothing to do with 4/5K monitors) and I have the same problem as everyone else. I've been using InDesign v15 ever since it was released, but on Mojave, which has been working great. Yesterday I decided to install Catalina… which I regret. Hope this gets fixed real soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm, yeah. Not sure what you're on about here Xergious. I'm the type of designer that values my time, not a couple of fractions of 'diddly squat' on how a monitor displays Cyan 😃 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My car stereo goes black every time I hit a bump but I'm still moving forward and I can always just sing the rest of the song."  ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicholas, I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic. I didn't mean to sound elitist or diminish your solution. And I am sure most designers value their time—in my job it is extremely time consuming not being able to work with somewhat correct colors. I'm sure switching the profile is an acceptable workaround for some people. But it IS a workaround, not a fix. I could go on talking about color management but let's get to my points: Marking the topic/thread as ”Solved” isn’t good—again, not sure who did that, or even how it works—doing so will smooth over the problem, making people think this is a tiny issue that doesn’t really need a proper fix. For many people, myself included, this is a big problem and I think we need to put pressure on Adobe here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya, facetious. I was just pretending to be an Adobe coder. ;>)

It's definitely an Adobe issue, simply because there is no other app that exhibited the behavior. But then, when InDesign used to suffer issues whenever they did a major version release, it inevitably turned out to be Apple's fault. So who knows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey champ. Guess what? They fixed the 'rounded' edges in the latest update (Not Acrobat of course, we always need one ommision) BUT they didn't reslove the 5K LG Monitor Issues. 😬😆 2020-06-18 at 9.41.36 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! It's hilarious how Acrobat is always the standout. Totally differernt interface. Totally differernt icon.

But the rounded corners. Hard to complain about the colorspace issue now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have this problem too with several imacs (latest models, i9, 32gb ram, best available GPU, Catalina, cc2020 apps, all up to date, 5k internal screen + 1920 external second screen).

having InDesign (and/or acrobat?) open slows down everything on the Mac down so much its becoming a pain to work. UI is very laggy, spinning wheel appears when selecting text, ... this happens in indesign itself, and in other apps while InDesign is open in the background.

closing InDesign restores things to normal.

will try the appleRGB thing coming Monday, but this is no real solution to us, we need some colour accuracy and this is only possible with custom profiles on these screens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm: switching all attached monitors to Adobe RGB in the macOS Catalina settings does the trick ... everything is smooth and workable now in all programs (Adobe or not), no matter what documents are open in Adobe apps in the background.

BUT we really need color calibration of our monitors, so this is only a workaround, not a solution!

@Adobe, please fix this, it's a bit ridiculous to have non-color-managed graphics design programs.

As a clue: everything but "apple RGB" will slow down things, whether this is a custom profile or something delivered with a monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance at all this is an Apple thing? Catalina maybe? I remeber InDesign years ago being a complete carcrash upon a new version release and it turned out it was specifically Apple's fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlikely Jeff. I've had to re-install the previous version of InDesign as their latest InDesign update has a bug that defaults EVERY page number on EVERY document created to SS. Yes that's right. Every page number defaults to SS. You can't make this stuff up. Also, they didn't address the monitor settings bug we've been discussing for over a month either. 😬 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course there is a chance apples changes are the source – apple is a berzerker regarding maintained support for things they consider old (and things get "old" very fast on apples platforms, which is a hassle for everyone except Apple itself). It might be that they switched colour management to 64bit, or changed the layer where colour adjustments for the display are applied in the stack between application, GUI and driver, or whatever ...

yet, i have no slow-downs in other applications that are color-managed, so if apple changed something that is not working anymore with the adobe applications, adobe just seems to be forced go around this and adjust if they want their software to perform on macOS, as apple just won't do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

Some info on my side, 

Macmini - late 2012 16gb- had Seirra High - used to fun like butter. Now with cc2020 lags alot, terrible at saving. 

90% PS2020 on it.(work with client in studio)

My wifes old 2014ish Imac  used to run fine( Illustrator), not she spends half the tiem swearing at cc2020.

My 10 year old custom , may I say the word here ,,PC,, runs CC2020 like a beast, Photoshop is instant and handles 2GB files with ease, (beside the usaul, pc issues, that always pop up)

Hope this might shed some light, will try some stuff and give an update.

As for the color profile,,, hahahah,, I do fine art reproductions, not an option,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a top of the line late 2013 15" MBP and the color setting is Color LCD and Adobe apps are liquid smooth. So perhaps this issue of color setting is a newer Mac issue. Or the way gamma rays in the atmosphere are aligning. So you might be screwed until someone at Adobe shows some concern.

And, who knows, maybe Big Sur will solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

had similar issue (after updating iMac OS (Retina 5k, Late 2015) to Calalina, InDesign (17.0.1) was running so slow - UNBEARABLY slow... and what solved it was "pausing" Creative Cloud syncing: Creative Cloud > Preferences > Syncing >Pause

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines