Highlighted

InDesign 15.1 Windows Hangs every time I choose paragraph styles in the Cross References Dialog

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

EDIT: This may not be related to cross references. That is just what I was working on at the time. When I add a paragraph to page 39, it hangs just like when I try to add a cross reference. I can add cross references and paragraphs to pages 38 and 40.

---

I'm working on a document with a lot of cross references. Recently I've been experiencing daily crashes and hangs, but since I installed the latest version (15.1) things have been stable for a few days.

Now, when I choose a paragraph style (called "H3 2"), the program hangs. 100% Repro. I have to use Task Manager to kill the program.

I go to page 39.

I highlight the first XX so I can insert my cross reference there.

I choose "H3 2" as the paragaph style.

I try to scroll to the correct Paragraph Text, but InDesign hangs.

Uploaded my file, which I fear is corrupted. Weeks of work.

Things I've tried:

Uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign

Many reboots

Another (Windows) computer  (Is InDesign less buggy on a Mac?)

Save to IDML and load that

Deleting the spread where the problem occurs (my page 38 & 39)

Thanks in advance,

John

Topics

Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign 15.1 Windows Hangs every time I choose paragraph styles in the Cross References Dialog

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

EDIT: This may not be related to cross references. That is just what I was working on at the time. When I add a paragraph to page 39, it hangs just like when I try to add a cross reference. I can add cross references and paragraphs to pages 38 and 40.

---

I'm working on a document with a lot of cross references. Recently I've been experiencing daily crashes and hangs, but since I installed the latest version (15.1) things have been stable for a few days.

Now, when I choose a paragraph style (called "H3 2"), the program hangs. 100% Repro. I have to use Task Manager to kill the program.

I go to page 39.

I highlight the first XX so I can insert my cross reference there.

I choose "H3 2" as the paragaph style.

I try to scroll to the correct Paragraph Text, but InDesign hangs.

Uploaded my file, which I fear is corrupted. Weeks of work.

Things I've tried:

Uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign

Many reboots

Another (Windows) computer  (Is InDesign less buggy on a Mac?)

Save to IDML and load that

Deleting the spread where the problem occurs (my page 38 & 39)

Thanks in advance,

John

Topics

Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

just opened your document in my German InDesign 15.1.0.25 on Windows 10.

No crash so far. Opened paragraph style "H3 2" from Header Styles > Section 2 in the Paragraph Styles Panel.

Went through all its properties. No hang. No crash. All normal.

So I went to page 39 and selected the first XX. The applied style is:

"Normal No Indent Left Hanging" in style group Normal Styles.

Then I opened the Cross Ref Dialog and choose H3 2.

So. What's next? What is the paragraph that should be applied?

I can scroll without issues and very smooth through the offered paragraphs.

No hang. No crash. All normal.

Page39-Insert-CrossRef-H3 2-ScrollingThroughParagraphs.PNG

Of course I have a lot of preflight errors because I have no access to the placed images and some fonts are missing.

So I do not think that our document is damaged. Not at all!

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for looking at it.

Next step is the paragraph should be Storming the Ship.

To further test my problem, I tried adding this exact cross reference to page 38, both in the main text and in it's own text box. No problem either time.

I thought maybe it's that paragraph is the problem. So on page 39, I added a new paragraph right above "BY THE ROUNDS". And InDesign hangs. I get the wait cursor and it never goes away.

If you have time, could you add a new paragraph to page 39?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can add a paragraph to page 40 as well as 38. Only when I add the paragraph to page 39 do I hang.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nojo509 LATEST
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case the lack of images changes the pagination, my problem page (39) is the one with the header BATTLE FOR THE GRAVITAS MISLAID.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines