• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 16.1 crashes computer to death (black screen) during Save [to google drive]

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've had this problem also with previous version of InDesign. Sometimes (not always, but several times during day) when invoking Save As pop-up window, refilling file name, just immeadiately after ENTER (or push Save As button), computer crashes to death (black screen). I've tried to find solution here before, but recommendation to clear and rebuild preferences during app startup did not help.

But now I noticed, that in bug fixes list with version 16.1. is an item, that there were problems crashing InDesign (although not whole computer) by trying to open file from Google Drive. I am constantly working with Google Drive, so maybe your experts should look on this behavior with saving file to Google Drive as well. No other app is doing that (nor any other within Adobe CC), only InDesign.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: InDesign 16.1. just crashed computer to death even during opening file from Google Drive.

For God's sake, fix it please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: file which was being opened was not only on cloud storage within Google Drive, but also on my disk available for offline access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you're not using any smart sync features with cloud storage.

You've given us no system information at all so it's impossible to offer any other advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Bob, for your answer. What do you mean by "smart sync features"? Google Drive (previously called Google File Stream) is automatically syncing all files on my google drive with those on its cloud. Implicitly it is leaving only file header on my physical disk and all real data are on the cloud. However, I have option to make file "available offline", so that there is no need to access cloud when working with file.

System info:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019); processor: 3,7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5; memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, operating system: Mac OS Big Sur 11.1.

app: InDesign CC 16.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been quite a few problems reported using Google Drive. What if you copy those files to the local harrdrive and out of the google drive folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe only for sake of trying whether it would work flawlessly. But all my work, all my projects are stored on Google Drive (terrabytes of data), and I often have to have access to my job archive. Maybe temporary "solution" would be to have active projects on local harddrive and only after finishing, upload them on google drive. But this solution is not very ellegant. Consider that no other application have problem with working on Google Drive, only InDesign, and only for several past weeks. So real problem would be inside app itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a troubleshooting step. You need to eliminate it as a possible problem but again, be sure you have those files and any links to those files available locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

TEMPORARY SOLUTION: I've tried to move ongoing project to local harddrive (outside Google Drive logical drive). So far working with InDesign on local harddrive did not show mentioned behaviour. So I am forced to include moving folders into my workflow. Each evening I am moving processed folders back to Google Drive for synchronisation and cloud storage. 

This is, as Bob Levine stated, only troubleshooting. It is not to be considered as solution. Now we know, that InDesign still has bug connected with accessing Google Drive. No one other Adobe app have this bug. So I hope, it could be fixed by Adobe itself, so we as users are not forced to include non-standard steps into our workflow.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines