• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 16.1 unable to open IDML file

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently spent the time to update my InDesign software and now I can no longer open packaged IDML files I have saved on my external hard drive. They are my files and they opened just fine in previous versions. I need to be able to open them because I pull things out of them all of the time for different projects for the same client.

Should I just revert back to a previous version of InDesign? Is there some trick to opening an IDML file nowadays that I don't know about?

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you just open the INDD files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I definitely would if it existed. For whatever reason, it is no longer on this mortal plane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by Packaged IDML files?

Normally you package the InDesign document - where you have an option to save an IDML along with it. 

If it's packaged there should be the original InDesign file too.

But this still doesn't make sense, as IDML files should open just fine. 

Can you please explain further your process, what files etc you have and if you can post screenshots that would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would imagine the original InDesign file should be in there, but for whatever reason it is not so that is not an option available to me. I've attached the image of what my packaged InDesign document looks like and the error message I recieve when I attempt to open it.

I recently reverted back to a previous version of InDesign and it opens without any problems. This issue only arises whenever I try to open it with 16.1.files.JPGerror message.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines