InDesign 16.2.1 slow and unresponsive on Mac after update

Enthusiast ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro 2016, 15" 

macOS 11.3.1 (Big Sur)

InDesign 16.2.1

Ever since the update from 16.2.0 to 16.2.1, InDesign is much slower than before.

Updates to the document in real time thanks to the "Preview" checkbox take a lot longer to start.

Scrolling document spreads during navigation stutters, sometimes blocks & the spinning wheel appears briefly before letting the operation continue. 

Exporting PDF is roughly 10x slower than before and, at a certain point during export, InDesign stalled and I had to Force Quit it after about 2-3 mins of spinning wheel.

Is this a known issue? 

If it seems to be just me, what could I do?

Is there a way to access the 16.2.0 installer & use that version again?

Thank you

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Please try the suggestions given on this community post(https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behavior-of-indesign...) & let us know if it helps to improve the performance of the app.

If you wish to use the older version of the app, please follow the suggestions given on this help article(https://helpx.adobe.com/in/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html).

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try everything as soon as possible and report back. 

Judging from schedule, tomorrow morning or Thursday for full report.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Replied to the other answer below, possibly you didnt get the notification.

Please let me know how to restore my old workspaces.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My specs are almost identical to yours: MacBooks Pro 2016, 15", macOS 11.3.1, and updated today to InDesign 16.2.1.

It's running exactly the same. I'm experiencing none of the speed or performance issues that you are.

I would try restoring your InDesign preferences and caches:

Adobe InDesign: Rebuilding Preferences and Cache Files ...https://www.rockymountaintraining.com › ad...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Rebuilding the Preferences didnt help much, but Rebuilding Caches did something for sure.

Do you think it is safe now to move back the workspace xml files back? 

I can easily rebuild them but I would like to keep them if possible.

I also wonder what one should do when transferring to a new machine: how can the preferences / workspaces be moved? Is there such an option in Creative Cloud?

Concerning installing previous versions: I've seen that having both 16.2.1 and 16.2.0 is not allowed. Is that correct?

Can one only have different major versions installed?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines