Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 2018 CC won't open

Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign CC 2018 won't open anymore.
It doesn't even show the splash screen. Just crashes with no message in a nanosecond. It worked perfectly until this morning. Nothing changed on the system (Catalina)
I know the app is unsupported it was installed by adobe support remotely. Other versions of indesign installed work perfectly.
I can't reinstall, because Adobe won't do that anymore for me. My old installer which i had saved from the remote session gives an error.
Creative cloud app won't open it, but sees it as installed. Tried updating the desktop app. nothing.

Tried deleting the preferences and caches.

Tried disabling gatekeeper and app verification

tried removing quarantine attribute on the app.

nothing.
I'm desperate, my most important clients all want CC 2018 files. Others want CC 2020. others 2019.

What should i try next? Updating Catalina to the last available version? resetting nvram?

any tip is welcome.

G.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.

Adobe InDesign 2018 is not compatible with macOS Catalina as per system requirements.

Adobe provides installers for our current apps and the previous major version of each.

If you're looking to download old versions, I'd suggest checking out ProDesignTools's response to this community post(https://community.adobe.com/t5/download-install/direct-download-links-for-cc-2019-apps/td-p/10303794?page=1).

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.

Adobe InDesign 2018 is not compatible with macOS Catalina as per system requirements.

Adobe provides installers for our current apps and the previous major version of each.

If you're looking to download old versions, I'd suggest checking out ProDesignTools's response to this community post(https://community.adobe.com/t5/download-install/direct-download-links-for-cc-2019-apps/td-p/10303794...).

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I know the version is unsopported on my system, but it DID work, it has worked smoothly without a crash for a year. I just closed it, ten minutes later, it would not open again. That's awfully baffling. How can something like that happen. Nothing changed on the system. 
Is it possible that Apple remotely changed something?
Anyway, reinstalling doesn't work. I remember that the first time it was installed it was behaving the same way. Adobe support ran CC cleaner tool to remove the CC desktop app and reinstalled it, and it went fine since then. I'll maybe try that. Can it mess up the other installed apps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Wolandit_IT ,

I appreciate that it may have been working but any number of things may have changed on your system. Short answer is Adobe have stated that 2018 is not compatible with Catalina because of its 64 bit architecture.

That said, Adobe has this document, that I think you will find useful. https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/fix-macos-64-bit-compatibility-errors.html

To make your files compatible with older versions, save your files as .IDML.

hth

mj

You can 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I understand.
I just want to know how this can happen. A theory.

I was using it. I closed it. Machine kept running. Not updated anything, I never update anything. Went back ten minutes later and I can't open the app. Machine wasn't even sleeping. CC desktop app wasn't running. What relevant parameter can be changin on my system without my knowledge?
Is there a log i can access to understand something more?

These things really make me miss Windows machines a lot.

I appreciate that it is not supported anymore, I'll deal with it. I just want to understand a little detail about how it is possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines