InDesign 2019 doesn't recognize installed fonts

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe,

Can we please fix this? InDesign CC 2019 is a slow mess. The font handling is now a nightmare.

Example: all morning I have been working on a brand book. The file was working just fine. Fonts all working fine. I get to working on a style guide and try to change the leading and it crashed the whole program. When it restarted, it no longer can see that the fonts - brand fonts because I'm working on a brand book - are no longer available on the system. Even though they are installed on the system.

So, I restart the app and delete the preferences. No change.

So, I then restart my computer AND delete the preferences yet again. No change.

I make sure the fonts are installed in both the system AND inDesign's font folder (what is the reasoning behind this treat here?). No change.

If I knew ahead of time that working with InDesign 2019 was going to be such a headache, I never would have downloaded the buggy software. InDesign is the program where designers need the best control over type. I literally NEVER have this issue in Illustrator or Photoshop. Are you rushing to put software out?

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 12.56.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-18 at 12.56.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-18 at 12.57.28 PM.png

Hi Steve,

As with 2018, the suggestions did not work. I called Adobe customer support - who again confirmed everything was installed correctly and no files were corrupt - and was able to create a work around, which I have to do now with every single file I open in InDesign:

1. create a new document
  2. make a text box and type out some letters and change the font from the default to the desired font
  3. copy the existing document into the new document

This obviously is not ideal. But, it works for the time being. In my original document - which the body copy was all in the font in issue - the first 20 pages, the font worked just fine. The remaining 20+ pages the same font didn't exist.

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Participant ,
Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a project with more than 24 documents, and I don't have time for this workaround. Are there any other global solutions to get InDesign to recognize the fonts that are installed for all users on my computer?

I'm on Windows 10 Pro, with a brand new installation of ID 2019 (installed in an attempt to fix all of the terrible issues I've been having with ID, including this one). So, prefs file is brand new.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit late but I've just experienced this. I had to ensure all fonts were installed for all users under Win10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon,

Thanks for reaching out. I understand that InDesign is giving missing fonts error even though the fonts are installed on the system. That's definitely shouldn't be happening.

To help you make this right we would need a few more details like:

• Exact Version of InDesign
  • Is it happening with some specific font or font family?
  • How the font was installed initially?
  • Did you try the steps I shared in my last post? If not, please try the steps shared here Troubleshoot fonts in Adobe applications | Mac OS X and let us know if that helps.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Srishti

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Sorry, my reply to InfoDevPro was not clear - I was reporting that I fixed a similar issue by re-installing the missing fonts, ensuring I had installed for all users (in Win10 there are two options when installing a font; the default 'install' and a UAC/admin level 'Install for all users').

As of right now this issue is resolved for me. Thanks anyway.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that you are all set. Thank you for letting us know. Feel free to update the discussion in case you face any other issue.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon,

the option "Install for all users" is indeed the crucial point with Windows 10.

This came up lately in the forum:

InDesign packaging not packaging fonts folder after Windows 10 upgrade

The solution was to use option Install for All Users instead of the simple install option for fonts.

Here a quote from Dov Isaacs ( https://forums.adobe.com/people/Dov%20Isaacs ) from reply #6 of that linked discussion:

… Install the fonts from your source by right-clicking on the font file and selecting either Install for All Users (this puts a copy in C:\Windows\fonts) or Install as Shortcut for All Users (no copy placed in the Windows font directory). Do Not use the Install option, a new feature of a recent Windows 10 versions which only makes the font visible to the user installing the font. That type of font installation may be the problem, at least with Adobe applications. …

Regards,

Uwe

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an answer, it's a work around.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unrulyspirits  wrote

This is not an answer, it's a work around.

Hi Unrulyspirits ,

do you experience the same issue with InDesign CC 2019 on Mac OS X 10.14 ?

Does the workaround work for you?

I would report a bug over there if there isn't one done before about this issue:

Adobe InDesign Feedback

Please come back when done or found an appropriate report and post the link of the report so that everyone can vote for fixing the bug easily.

Regards,
Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening for me too. Indesign 14.02, Apple OS Mojave 10.14.6. I use Suitcase Fusion 20.0.6 to manage fonts. I've just opened a document and the fonts are active but it says they're missing. The 'workaround' works but is massively time consuming for those of us that are opening and closing jobs constantly all day. Illustrator for a long time hasn't handled fonts efficiently either.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just started happening with me as well.  wtf Adobe... why are the new versions of Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop continually breaking things that the professional users rely on all the time? Please advise.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just spent three hours with some very nice bloke at the help desk, but it took me an hour just to expain the problem to him. He kept insisting that it was because I used 'third party' fonts (e.g. not Adobe). I explained to him that some of those fonts I've used for 15 years without any problem in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, until a couple of weeks ago. And some of those fonts ARE Adobe fonts, be it of an older generation. It's not the fonts, it's the software, I tried to explain to him. I nearly lost my patience a couple of times. I let him reset my preferences, and now we'll see. But I don't get my hopes up high, and I'm starting to look for alternatives for Indesign. It's my f••king livelihood.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having same issue. I don't see those fonts i activated in fonts.adobe.com on my adobe CC. 

I turned them off and on, copied from different page and pasted in, etc nothing worked. 2019-12-05-1.png

Until, i clicked the "find more" and there was all the fonts i activated. This is so weird.

2019-12-05.png

I clicked the empty cloud and now i have arrows going back and forth.

Not sure what this cloud icon means but now the fonts are working....

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 9.57.43 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Adobe, this is SO not a workable solution. The new document does not have all the master pages or paragraph styles or character styles or anything else that I need. Sure, the problem font now works in this empty shell, but I have to rebuild everything else.  This is a huge problem. Please solve!

Thank you!

--Juliet

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines