Highlighted

InDesign 2020 (15.1) freezing while placing files from Bridge.

Engaged ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign 15.1 / Windows 10 up to date / Core i7 6 x cores @ 3.5 / 32 g ram

Indesign is either sluggish and/or completely stalls when I place files with control+d or drag in from Bridge. I have tried placing in a box and dragging the cursor to create a box. I finally have to go to control+alt+delete in many cases. I have turned off the pre-flight panel.

Thanks to those who know more than me,

Joe

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign 2020 (15.1) freezing while placing files from Bridge.

Engaged ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign 15.1 / Windows 10 up to date / Core i7 6 x cores @ 3.5 / 32 g ram

Indesign is either sluggish and/or completely stalls when I place files with control+d or drag in from Bridge. I have tried placing in a box and dragging the cursor to create a box. I finally have to go to control+alt+delete in many cases. I have turned off the pre-flight panel.

Thanks to those who know more than me,

Joe

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 19, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm replying to my self - I'm finding that when I place a file, if a just click randomly rather than drawing or highlighting a box, the file appears in a several seconds which is better but not like the former instant gratification.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. That's definitely not a typical experience with InDesign. Could you please confirm where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)? Does the same this happen on on a new document?  If yes, try following these steps and let us know how it goes:

1. Reset Preferences:

• Close all Adobe applications.
  • Go to Locations :
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe.
  • Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old
  • Launch InDesign from CC.

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.

2. If that doesn't help, try booting the system into Safe Mode (https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode) and check how it works there. It starts your system so that it performs certain checks and prevents third party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe mode, then there is some third party service or application like antivirus, plugins or web extensions which are conflicting with the InDesign.

3. If that doesn't help either, login to Hidden Admin account (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfbMs3w-Z3s&t=53s). Check how the application works there. If it works fine there, then it could be related to permission errors. Follow these steps to repair permission errors:

Perform this procedure:

• Open the File Explorer window. Click the View tab, and then select Hidden items.
  • Navigate to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Adobe InDesign
  • In File Explorer, right-click the folder InDesign and choose Properties.
  • Click the Security tab, and then click Edit to set permissions.
  • In the Permissions dialog, select your user name. In the Permissions area, deselect the Deny check box.
  • Click OK twice.
  • Then go to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe InDesign
  • Perform the same procedure again.
  • Launch Adobe InDesign.

4. If nothing helps, then we need to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help on a live session that way.

Regards,

Srishti

This video shows how to enable the hidden administrator account on Windows 10. This works for Windows 8 and 7 seven as well. Here is the command to enable th...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted preferences the first thing. Files are saved in an HDD (not the C Drive) on my computer 10 TB w/5.5 TB available. I downloaded the new INDD version this afternoon. Let me see how that works. I also suspect that the app looking for Libraries on a slow internet connection may be the culprit. My connection has been slow for the last day or so.

Thanks for your reply,

Joe Dempsey

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slow internet connection might be a possible culprit. Please do share your findings after updating the application. I will be looking forward to your response.

Regards!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing the new INDD version, the problems appear to be resolved. Links are updating quickly and the program seems to be working well. 

Thanks again for your interest,

Joe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 08, 2020 0