• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2020 cant save file and gives error "already open"

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I finished a document in InDesign save it as a .pdf and try to opene it in Adobe Acrobat, the first time will open de document, the second time around I have to completely close both apps in order to get the document open again. it say's and I quote "Cannot save to the file ""name.pdf"", because it is already open".  does any body have a solution for it?

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 11.10.53 AM.png

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Hi sml_design,

the bug fix is out now: Version 15.0.1.209 should be ready for install from your Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App.

Fixed issues in InDesign
InDesign 2020 (version 15.0.1)

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should not save as PDF, you have to export as PDF. You try to save your document as PDF, even if it is an INDD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course I did that. "I exported". I did not save my IND as pdf, I exported and saved a pdf doc, but can't export it more than once without shutting my Indesign Program and turning it back on, to re-export my pdf doc again. other wise I recieved the warnig I posted in my previous post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce that problem with InDesign 2020 on my Mac running macOS 10.14.6.  

Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, I'm using the lates version of Adobe CC as for Nov, 5/2019

I'm using Indesign 2020 and my OS is 10.15.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same issue. I cannot export a pdf with the same name and overwrite it. It will tell me the file is already open. (which it isn't) My only workaround is to save the pdf as a different name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with InDesign 2020. I cannot overwrite a pdf and get the same error message as the original poster.

I don't have the issue using InDesign 2019, so I've gone back to that for now.

I am using MacOs 10.14.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your sincere response, i will hait till the adobe team puts hands into matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your sincere response, I will wait until the adobe team finds the solution to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

hm, that must be a Mac OS X issue. Perhaps especially with Catalina?

Just tested on my German version of InDesign 2020 15.0.0.155 on Windows 10 and had no issue.

I could always overwrite my exported PDF with the same name. Unless of course the PDF was opened with e.g. Acrobat Pro DC, but that's normal business.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Renee-007,

best do a bug report at https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help, the Adobe team recognize the bug as: "InDesign won't overwrite pdf document" and it is already looking into it.
Thank you Again Laubender!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rene,

Thanks for sharing this information. I have sent you a DM for more details, please check.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, with all the latest Adobe CC software & latest Catalina upgrade

Is there a solution yet?

Judy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know? not yet Judy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same issue as Rene-007

Very frustrating. Is their an old config file or preference we need to remove to make this work properly again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here on macOS 10.14.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I have to trash my old PDF in order to save a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kristen,

what is your operating system version?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My coworkers and I have the same issue. It seems like it only kicks in if the Indesign file is already saved as a 2020 format (2019 files not saved out yet seem to work fine). We're all on MacOS 10.14.6 or lower (not 10.15), and we're connected to a Windows file server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am only having the problem when trying to save files to our NAS, files saved locally to the desktop do not have the same issue. Running Indesign 2020 and Catalina 10.15.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out and highlighting this. We have found that issue occurs only when the files are saved on Windows Server from MAC machines. Could you please confirm where your files and PDF are saved? Try saving them on Desktop and check if you get the same error.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Srishti,

I am confirming that when I try to overwrite a PDF to a Windows based server that it cannot overwrite the file because it says it's already open. When I overwrite it to my desktop it works perfectly (no overwrite error). I am running Mac OS 10.13.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming, Peter. This issue has already been reported to the Product team and they are working on it. Please upvote this issue here https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38963116-indesign-2020-... and stay tuned for updates. Thanks in advance for your Patience!

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I installed the new version of InDesign 2020 but now I cant't save my file to PDF. I get an warning: 'Can't save to PDF' Big problem, the printer needs the file asap! I didn't have this problem in version 2019. I cannot go back because the program won't open the file because it was opened in a newer version...

Schermafbeelding 2019-11-08 om 17.44.11.png

What to do??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines