• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2020 cant save file and gives error "already open"

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I finished a document in InDesign save it as a .pdf and try to opene it in Adobe Acrobat, the first time will open de document, the second time around I have to completely close both apps in order to get the document open again. it say's and I quote "Cannot save to the file ""name.pdf"", because it is already open".  does any body have a solution for it?

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 11.10.53 AM.png

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Hi sml_design,

the bug fix is out now: Version 15.0.1.209 should be ready for install from your Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App.

Fixed issues in InDesign
InDesign 2020 (version 15.0.1)

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the mean time, Clossing both programs and then turning it back on will re-export the pdf file without re-naming it.

That's what I've been doing while the Adobe Team find the solution to Re-Exporting PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes same problem Mac OS 10.14.6 saving files to a Xinet Linux server via afp. Works fine with CC2019 never had this before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. It seems to only be an issie when working on a server. When exporting a PDF to the desktop not a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. OS 10.13.6 saving to Synology NAS. Says the file is already open even when Acrobat is closed. Crazy stuff, big time waster to have to quit both apps every time to overwrite file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue only with indesign 2020. Saving to Ctera server. MacOS Mojave.

2019 did not have this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. Saving from a mac (Mojave 10.14.4) to a mac server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue as well "can't... because it's already open." Have to close both Indesign and Adode DC the reopen the indesign file again and then export to PDF. Was excited to upgrade to Indesign 2020 this morning, but it made for a long day! Hopefully this will get fixed shortly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a faster way to re-export a .pdf doc without clossing and reloading the apps, just keep a finder window open where you are saving your docs and just delete them before re-exporting, then re-export from InDesign, that will do the job. (without the hassle of closing and re opening the apps) in the meantime lets wait 'till this issue gets fix.

Let me know if it helps you at all.

Greetings ya' all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Using Mojave 10.14.4. I thought quiting Acrobat would do it but nope. I have to delete the PDF before I can export it again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still seeing this issue. Any solution yet??? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was told there is no solution yet 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to be notified when there is a solution to this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ergordon_work,

I think, you'll be notified if you either comment that bug report at Adobe InDesign Feedback or you vote there for fixing the bug:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38963116-indesign-2020-...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here...saving from Mac OS Mojave to a Windows server. My solution was to switch my connection from a "smb" to a "afp" type of connection. No problems since the change! (See screenshot below)Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 8.48.08 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am haveing the same issue. The only thing that works is if I quit InDesign and Acrobat, restart them both and then it allows me to save it. This did not start happening until we move to 2020. Not just my computer haveing this problem. 6 other people in my department that upgraded to 2020 having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sml_design,

the bug fix is out now: Version 15.0.1.209 should be ready for install from your Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App.

Fixed issues in InDesign
InDesign 2020 (version 15.0.1)

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm on version 16.0.1 and I still have the issue. Opening and closing the pdf worked once only. The problem is still there even after rebooting InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems this issue has re-emerged. Getting the same message when trying to save of export from InDesign 2023 on our Macs to the Windows 11 server.

Specs

M1 Mac mini, MacOS Ventura 13.4

InDesign 2023 (Version 18.3)

This is completely breaking our workflow as we have to save locally to our Macs and then copy that to the file server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here with InDesign 2023...

Mac OS Ventura

Mac Studio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this is still a problem. PLEASE fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines