• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2020 Convert Text To Outline

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm stuggling to convert text into outlines. 

I have a 250 page InDesign book that I can't get to export with the text in an outline.

Any help?

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Participant , Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Hey there, Go to Preflight in Acrobat then convert font to outlines this is the best way.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 5.57.31 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

> I've tried what that 9 year old article says.

You're right, apologies. That was an older answer -- as you can see, your specific request has been discussed (and discouraged) more than once. I was actually looking for https://indesignsecrets.com/outlining-fonts-the-2016-edition.php

(Just for the record: it re-states that (1) outlining fonts is bad practice; (2) you should not be doing it; (3) .. even if your obvious clueless printer "demands" it; (4) but if you do, use Acrobat Pro. Dov Isaac's official advice

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you want to do this -- it's one of the worst typographic practices you can undertake! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Live and learn right...  At this point, I just want to finish this project.  And then take a step back to understand where I went wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Details please. "Can't get to export", so what happens instead? Export to what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problems exporting as a pdf.  The problem is converting the text to an outline to be printed.

- Added a transparancy layer.

- Ticked the boxes

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 12.41.54 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion. I've tried what that 9 year old article says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I've tried what that 9 year old article says.

You're right, apologies. That was an older answer -- as you can see, your specific request has been discussed (and discouraged) more than once. I was actually looking for https://indesignsecrets.com/outlining-fonts-the-2016-edition.php

(Just for the record: it re-states that (1) outlining fonts is bad practice; (2) you should not be doing it; (3) .. even if your obvious clueless printer "demands" it; (4) but if you do, use Acrobat Pro. Dov Isaac's official advice dates from 2015 so I'm not sure if you would consider this "too old to follow" too.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the help and the link to Dov Isaac's advice.  I apologies for the snarkiness.  Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, the screenshot is very small or it's me ?

Yes, it's one of the worst typographic practices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 1.10.16 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-18 at 1.32.09 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-18 at 1.34.56 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you exported this and opened in Acrobat... How would you convert the text to outlines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you even want to? It's a horrible practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, Go to Preflight in Acrobat then convert font to outlines this is the best way.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 5.57.31 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use InDesign because it's easy to use.  Once a year I create an awesome book filled with pictures from the race season.  I love to contribute back to the community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have (kind of indirectly) asked you again and again WHY you want to outline text. You haven't replied. We ask because it's a bad idea, because it damages quality and usability, and because it is almost never needed. But there's a lot of bad advice on the internet so 9 times out of 10 people are doing it when they don't need to.  Even more confusingly, you keep posting screen shots with no text in them, so we have really no idea what your problem is with outlining text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe me, I was confused.  You're 100% correct about bad advice.  That seems to be all I found.  Thank you for taking the time to help out, it's appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

if you must convert text to outlines best do it with the exported PDF in Acrobat Pro DC.

Print Production > Preflight

Choose:

Acrobat Pro DC 2015 Profiles

Tab: Profiles

Right most button: Select single fix ups

Document > Convert fonts to outlines

Run the fix with the Fix button of the Preflight panel.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

EDIT: Did not see datap's nested reply with the screenshot of Acrobat's Preflight panel before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't. If a printing company is asking you to, tell them you're going to use a company that doesn't have this arcane requirement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't answered as to why you are converting 250 pages to outlines, but I can tell you (as others have already), that this has the possibility of introducing all sorts of errors in the process. Any printer worth using can use a PDF as generated from InDesign - no font outlining needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm beginning to feel like we're all wasting our time trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines