Highlighted

InDesign 2020 crashes while opening files

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe,

I am currently running InDesign 15.1.1 and my company's brochures (28+ pages) will not even open without crashing the InDesign program and becoming corrupted. This has been a continued issue with InDesign for over 9 months now and Adobe products are no longer a viable means for creating my company's collateral. 

I've been told the last 3 updates would "solve" the issue, yet it persists to an even worse extent now. 

Before, InDesign would crash when I would try to copy/cut/paste any element from a file with multiple layouts. At least they would open and I would simply have to recreate all the included content on a new document, but now I cannot even view the .indd files.

Has the Adobe development team crafted any sort of viable work around yet or will my company have to start exploring other programs? Please advise.

{Branched and Renamed by MOD}

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign 2020 crashes while opening files

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe,

I am currently running InDesign 15.1.1 and my company's brochures (28+ pages) will not even open without crashing the InDesign program and becoming corrupted. This has been a continued issue with InDesign for over 9 months now and Adobe products are no longer a viable means for creating my company's collateral. 

I've been told the last 3 updates would "solve" the issue, yet it persists to an even worse extent now. 

Before, InDesign would crash when I would try to copy/cut/paste any element from a file with multiple layouts. At least they would open and I would simply have to recreate all the included content on a new document, but now I cannot even view the .indd files.

Has the Adobe development team crafted any sort of viable work around yet or will my company have to start exploring other programs? Please advise.

{Branched and Renamed by MOD}

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zack S,

Many answers you will get here will come from users.

Current versión of InDesign or other applications from Adobe are used by thousands and thousand of users with simple to very complex files on infinite assortment of hardware on several OSs. 

There are many factors or likely culprits to any crash. Adobe application can be one of them, despite it works on near everyone else systems. But your installation could be faulty somewhere, the drivers of the video card can be too old, or your OSX or Windows 10 needs an upgarde,..... Not knowing anything about them, no one can venture into it. Every crash may show a different situation and reasons.

Also your files (though is unlikely all of them) get corrupted. have you tried converting any to .idml and tried to open it?

Have you tried them on  any other computer? Can you check some Metadata of them in Adobe Bridge?

Without detailed info and a sample of a crashing file, my suggestion is to contact Adobe support directly, though you can wait some Adobe employees read your message, they will be able to assist you check your system, inspect your files and provide explanations and answers to that troubled situation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zack,

We're extremely sorry about this frustration. As Federico explained, there could be multiple reason why this would have happened, however, we are happy to troubleshoot if you would like.

• Could you please confirm which operating system (Exact version of Windows/ Mac) you are working on? 
  • Where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)? 

We're here to help, just need more info.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Zack,

Totally agree with you. For one week now, my In Design always crash when I try to open it. Impossible to solve.
My OS is totally updated, my computer is quite new (MacBook Pro 2017 version), but I think that's the problem of online licences. Working on InDesign when it's office hours become very hard.
So desappointed about this software.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I share your pain as we are encountering similar issues and Adobe don't seem to be able to offer any help. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines