Highlighted

InDesign 2020 crashing on launch on macOS Catalina/ Mojave

Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just recently installed InDesign 2020 on my Macbook Pro Retina, however after launching the program it crashes a few seconds after opening up. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program several times with no luck. I have tried various suggestions with regards to deleteing caches and preferences, but nothing has worked so far. InDesign 2019 is still working perfectly. All other CC2020 apps are working fine so far, just InDesign that keeps crashing about 20–30 secs after starting up.  

This is as far as I get before it crashes:

Screenshot 2019-11-05 at 22.00.10.png

Machine Details:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2,2 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Crash Report: 

Process: Adobe InDesign 2020 [2839]
Path: /Applications/Adobe InDesign 2020/Adobe InDesign 2020.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe InDesign 2020
Identifier: Adobe InDesign 2020
Version: 15.0.0.155 (15000)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Adobe InDesign 2020 [2839]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2019-11-05 21:25:05.829 +0200
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G103)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: AD777A27-005E-8FBA-1C28-2DF43FFDDD9E

Sleep/Wake UUID: 6C17DC2B-A505-4533-BF01-FA38A41BB88E

Time Awake Since Boot: 7500 seconds
Time Since Wake: 1800 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 53

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [2839]

Mojave 10.14.6

Hi all,

We have a fix available for this issue.  Please try the steps shared in this help article: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/font-manager-crash.html and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Srishti 

Topics

Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign 2020 crashing on launch on macOS Catalina/ Mojave

Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just recently installed InDesign 2020 on my Macbook Pro Retina, however after launching the program it crashes a few seconds after opening up. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program several times with no luck. I have tried various suggestions with regards to deleteing caches and preferences, but nothing has worked so far. InDesign 2019 is still working perfectly. All other CC2020 apps are working fine so far, just InDesign that keeps crashing about 20–30 secs after starting up.  

This is as far as I get before it crashes:

Screenshot 2019-11-05 at 22.00.10.png

Machine Details:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2,2 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Crash Report: 

Process: Adobe InDesign 2020 [2839]
Path: /Applications/Adobe InDesign 2020/Adobe InDesign 2020.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe InDesign 2020
Identifier: Adobe InDesign 2020
Version: 15.0.0.155 (15000)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Adobe InDesign 2020 [2839]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2019-11-05 21:25:05.829 +0200
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G103)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: AD777A27-005E-8FBA-1C28-2DF43FFDDD9E

Sleep/Wake UUID: 6C17DC2B-A505-4533-BF01-FA38A41BB88E

Time Awake Since Boot: 7500 seconds
Time Since Wake: 1800 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 53

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [2839]

Mojave 10.14.6

Hi all,

We have a fix available for this issue.  Please try the steps shared in this help article: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/font-manager-crash.html and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Srishti 

Topics

Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working fine for me with exactly the same specs as you.

Try restoring your InDesign preferences:

You can delete the replaceable InDesign SaveData and InDesign Defaults files by holding down the following keys while InDesign is launching:

• Windows: Shift+Ctrl+Alt
  • Mac OS: Shift+Control+Option+Command

You need to hold down the keys quickly. If you're successful, you should see a confirmaton.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, 

Thanks for the response – I did try that (and again now when you mentioned it), but still no luck. 

If I try opening a file in InDesign 2020, the document will appear with a dialogue box over it saying "The last time you opened InDesign it expectedly quit while reopening..." and then no matter which option I click (Don't Reopen / Reopen) it crashes immedately after that. 

Thanks! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update

I have attempted to launch the program in Safe Mode but unfortunately it still crashes as before. I have managed to keep the program open for long enough to disable the "Show home screen when no documents are open" in preferences (as suggested on another user's thread) yet it still crashes after a few seconds after the preferences box is closed. 

I am not sure what else I can do? I have not received any feedback from Adobe after sending mulitple crash reports. 

*edit* I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the program a few times to no avail. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seemed to be an issue with the fonts installed in my Library folder. After contacting Adobe Support, we copied all the fonts from the Library/Fonts folder onto the the desktop and deleteed them from the Fonts folder. InDesign now launches correctly, and I am adding fonts back to the folder one by one. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if this will help anyone else, but I have had the same issue. Indesign 2020 crashing at launch. I read this post and then used Font Book on the Mac to disable all user fonts. This seemed to work as Indesign launched without any crash. I then turned on my user fonts in batches found that the font Comfortaa (a Google font) was causing my crash. Just thought I would mention it in case it helps someone else.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same issue on iMac and MacBook Pro / Catalina

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need a better solution from Adobe than this...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't agree with you more! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue.... nothing else worked. i tried to copy all the fonts at once back in – carshed. Now i do it one by one, too.

*edit: i copied all the fonts back... First: All with the first Letter "A", then check if it works. Letter "B"... and so on.. this worked for me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it also crashed for me when I tried to dump them back in all at once. I have subsequently started using FontBase to manage my fonts, so they are all stored in the FontBase root folder, and then I activate and deactivate them as I need them – so far so good (and it's free). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I have the same issue. I really need Indesign for a project I'm working on but InDesign 2020 keeps crashing and the previous version, that I re-installed now is having issues too. Any suggestions on what can be done?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try removing (sending to trash and then emptying the trash) all your fonts from you Font Folder – Library/Fonts (NB: copy them onto a back up folder on your desktop / or an external harddrive before you trash them). That worked for me atleast. Then try adding the fonts back to the Font folder in batches (start with the ones that you are using for your project in the mean time)  – if any adding any of the fonts back into the Font folder causes inDesign to crash then you'll figure out which font files are causing the issue.   

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Matthew, will do

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, it was definitely a font issue for me. I went into Font Book, selected all my fonts, right-clicked and chose Validate Fonts. I had some serious issues with some my fonts, so I went throught the list, checked the ones that were problematic and then chose Delete. I then tried opening INDD 2020 and presto, all good.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam - This definitely worked for me. I was deep in the "terminal" and everywhere else trying to fix the spinning pinwheel problem. Thanks so very much for posting your solution - so simple!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! You save my life.
Works fine!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

I gave this a go. Unfortunately it didn't work. Any other ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

So sorry to hear that you are facing issues with InDesign. Font issue was reported in one of our earlier releases and was fixed in November itself. There could be multiple reasons why an application would crash. I would request if you could create a new thread along with the following details:

• Exact version of InDesign and operating system.
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently.
  • Does it gives any crash report? If yes, share it by following the steps shared here (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html ).
  • If you are on Windows machine, check for error related to InDesign in Event viewer.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines