Highlighted

InDesign 2020 crashing while working with Text

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try to COPY, CUT or PASTE text, InDesign crashes on my MacOS Catalina. I am using the most up to date version (15.0.1) but it was also happening with the previous version as well. 

UPDATE: I realize this occurence only takes place with the INDD specific file I am working on. I tried packaging the file and reopening it as IDML and the problem went away.  However, the fonts and styles were all gone even though they were included in the package. 

Because the original INDD file has private information, I went ahead and replicated the it, replaced all text with placeholder text, packaged the file here for anyone who wants to help investigate. The included INDD is identical with the original (except in text) and has the exact same crash issues mentioned above. They also include all original fonts (Montserrat-Light, Montserrat-Regular, Fira Sans-Light, Fira Sans-Regular). 

I've emailed the file to Adobe to see if they can troubleshoot. If you have any suggestions in the meantime, please let me know and I'll test out your suggestions. Appreciate any help!

https://cutit.org/yJv8P

{Renamed by MOD}

Hi All,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We've fixed this in the latest release. Please update your InDesign to v15.0.3 to get this fixed.

Here's a link with more details: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37443781-indesign-crashes-when-editing-text

Regards,

Srishti

Topics

Bug, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign 2020 crashing while working with Text

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try to COPY, CUT or PASTE text, InDesign crashes on my MacOS Catalina. I am using the most up to date version (15.0.1) but it was also happening with the previous version as well. 

UPDATE: I realize this occurence only takes place with the INDD specific file I am working on. I tried packaging the file and reopening it as IDML and the problem went away.  However, the fonts and styles were all gone even though they were included in the package. 

Because the original INDD file has private information, I went ahead and replicated the it, replaced all text with placeholder text, packaged the file here for anyone who wants to help investigate. The included INDD is identical with the original (except in text) and has the exact same crash issues mentioned above. They also include all original fonts (Montserrat-Light, Montserrat-Regular, Fira Sans-Light, Fira Sans-Regular). 

I've emailed the file to Adobe to see if they can troubleshoot. If you have any suggestions in the meantime, please let me know and I'll test out your suggestions. Appreciate any help!

https://cutit.org/yJv8P

{Renamed by MOD}

Hi All,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We've fixed this in the latest release. Please update your InDesign to v15.0.3 to get this fixed.

Here's a link with more details: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37443781-indesign-crashes-when-editing-text

Regards,

Srishti

Topics

Bug, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC 15.1 unexpectedly quits when I copy text from the text box and it happens with multiple files, not in any specific file. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Indesign community

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2020 0
Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

we need more information to help you:
What's your operating system version?

Is a browser running in the background when the crash (?) happens?

More specific:

Is something special in your text that you copy?

Perhaps footnote texts? Hyperlinks? Tables that contain graphic cells?

Do you see a mutual formatting property of the text?

Perhaps you used the same paragraph style?

If that issue continues I would trash cache files (and preferences perhaps).

Before do a backup of cache and preferences folders.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2020 0
Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. Now that I've seen this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-2020-crashes-on-using-the-text-tool/td-p/10847735

I wonder if the Property Panel can be the issue. Close the panel and try to copy text. Will InDesign crash?

Elise said in the initial post of the linked thread:

…Addendum : the Property panel might have something to do with it ; when it is not open, I can edit the text without crashes.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens on several documents, each containing Pantone spot colours (don't know if it may be related).

I've manually reset preferences, I've unchecked the advanced type options in the Preferences, I've tried saving the file as IDML and working on this new file, but it changed nothing. Everytime I click on the text with the text tool, ID crashes.

Version 15.0.1

Windows 10 v. 1903

GPU Nvidia RTX 2070

Thanks.

Addendum : the Property panel might have something to do with it ; when it is not open, I can edit the text without crashes.

{Renamed By MOD}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2020 0
Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basic troubleshooting:

Reset InDesign preferences, hold down Shift+Ctrl+Alt keys while InDesign is launching.

Uninstall and re-install the application

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. I would request if you can share a few more details and try the steps below:

1. Is this happening with a specific file?
  2. Where is that file saved, locally or on any network or shared drive?
  3. Please share crash logs by following the steps shared in this help article: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html
  4. Could you please try booting the system into Safe Mode (https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode) and check how it works there. It starts your system so that it performs certain checks and prevents third party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe mode, then there is some third party service or application like antivirus, plugins or web extensions which are conflicting with the InDesign. 

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,Thank you for your quick answer. The problem happens with any local file that contains :
- Paragraph style,- Pantone spot colour,- Properties panel open.I've tried again under Windows Safe Mode, still the same problem.
If I close the Properties panel, no problemIf I convert my spot colours into CMYK colours, no problem.Hope it gives you some clues?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
• Video recording of the crash?
• Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Sanyam Talwar

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2020 0
Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font is the Property panel displaying by default?

Are you proof color settings on or are you in Overprint Preview?

Just to clarify--no spot color, with Property panel open--no problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default it's Minion Pro, loaded from the system. One of the documents that crashes uses a Futura Condensed (futura.ttc), loaded from a Package folder.
I'm not in Overprint Preview, and yes : no spot color + Property panel open = no problem. Problem happens only if spot color being used.
Now : I've tried applying a Pantone spot color to a text in Minion Pro on a new document and this document doesn't crash, despite the Property panel being open. However the document with the Futura Condensed in the Package folder keeps crashing. So the font, and/or the fact it's loaded from Package folder, seems to be the guilty party... But why would that happen only when using spot colors is a mystery.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2020 0
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just created a spot color, set the Basic Paragraph to the spot color. Nothing usual happened when the Properties panel was open and when I typed text. 

I would uninstall and reinstall--could be some corrupted files.

I'll try it on my tower later --I have the same video card installed. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the document package. We have been able to reproduce the issue and it is under review.

Sanyam Talwar

InDesign Engineering Team

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2020 0
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi xtinna2,

hm. CUT will crash InDesign 2020? Always? Or only with a distinct document?

So COPY is okay? Otherwise PASTE wouldn't be possible? Or do you paste contents from a different app or document?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great question! I just opened another InDesign file and was able to copy and paste just fine. So I realize now that InDesign only crashes with this specific file whenever I try to COPY, CUT or PASTE.

(I originally thought the COPY function was not affected, but I realize now that it also crashes when I try to copy.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 0
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried trashing preferences? Doing so will take the program back to its defaults and will, hopefully, fix the issue you're having.

To do so on a Mac:

The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe InDesign” and the file called “com.adobe.InDesign.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files in this manner is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I already tried this, it didn't work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 0
Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then, if you have found out InDesign works fine with other files or new ones, and that file is the cuklprit, try to save it as *.idml (ID CS4 or later) and then open it back in InDesign.

Does it work now?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but see the "Update" section in my original post.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just really hope to avoid reformatting the whole thing all over again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2020 0
Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi xtinna2,

if this is only with one single file, what exactly does the text contain you like to copy, cut or paste?

Something special like an anchored object or a table perhaps? If a table, does the table contain any graphic cells?

Or is it any selected text of this document that leads to a crash if you cut, copy or paste?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, just regular text. If you look at my original post, I included a link to the packaged file which contains the original file (replaced with filler text). If interested, you can take a look and see if the same thing happens on your computer with that file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 21, 2020 0