• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 2020 doesn't support transparent PNG and adds a colored background

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new version of Indesign doesn't seem to be willing to import transparent PNG files. I tried with a bunch of different images with no background and Indesign automatically adds a green or black background to it (see screenshot below). Any ideas as to how this can be fixed?

Somehow, the same problem occurs with the previous version of Indesign (2019) that is still installed on my computer.

I never had this issue before.

Many thanks for the help

Capture d’écran 2019-12-19 à 10.01.31.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

It seems that InDesign only supports transparency with PNG-24 files, and not with PNG-8 files—even if the 8-bit files have been saved with the transparency option. You could resave as PNG-24, but if you're going to that trouble, you might as well, as George-S suggests, save as a PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Hello ,
To resolve this background issue that appears on transparent PNG-type images, I saved the png image as PDF.

It worked for me keeping the background transparent when I imported the corresponding PDF into InDesign cc.
Hope this helps more than one.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just this file or all files. Have you tried a new file?

If it's just one file - then export that file to IDML and open the IDML in InDesign and save it as an indesign file.

If it's all files then try resetting your preferences. https://www.google.com/search?q=indesign+reset+preferences&oq=indesign+reset+preferences&aqs=chrome....

And finally - are you 100% sure your Fill colour for frame is set to none?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fill assigned to the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign doesn't support natively and fully png, and even have sometime problems with .tif transparency.

Plus, I have has few times in practice that InDesign crushed because of imported some png-files.

IMHO, you're need to open all your .png-files and re-save as .psd (through Photoshop!). 

I don't wanna hear it any words that I don't right here, because in practise you're need to exclude any known bugs with "supported on the paper image formats". Used to and use it in 95% only .psd for raster images and only .ai for vector images, "only hardcore"! Time is money. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your insights!

Here are my answers to your questions and what I think the problem might be:

• I have tried a new InDesign file and the save problem occurs
  • My background and border color are both set to none
  • When I open a completely different PNG file (one that I created on Illustrator, as opposed to these fruits & veggies pictures I downloaded), I don't have the problem
  • When I re-save my pictures with Photoshop as .psd and .png, some images finally appear without a background, some are still imported with a dark-green background

I'm starting to believe the issue doesn't come from Adobe but the source of my PNG which I got from this image bank https://www.stickpng.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that InDesign only supports transparency with PNG-24 files, and not with PNG-8 files—even if the 8-bit files have been saved with the transparency option. You could resave as PNG-24, but if you're going to that trouble, you might as well, as George-S suggests, save as a PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not helpful at all. My InDesign program doesn't even have the "PNG-24" (Whatever that means). I have even updated the program, and only the PNG option exists. What is going on here?! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This discussion is four years old! If you have a question or issue, please start a new discussion with some pertinent information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just figured out that we need to draw our own images on Indesign, and then only the transparency function works. However I feel this is not good because I also like to use images from Adobe stock and it sucks I can't save the PNGs with a transparent background like I use to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your PNG files may be in 'Index Mode'. I had the same issues and switching to CMYK mode worked.

Image Menu > Mode > CMYK color

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNGs can’t be saved as CMYK. If you convert to CMYK, and try to Save you will get a Save As dialog without PNG as an option. If you use Save For Web, there will be a conversion back to RGB when you export.

The problem is with Index Mode, so if you want to keep the PNG format, convert from Index Mode to RGB Mode, which will save the PNG as 24-bit on a regular Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My file was set to cmyk. duh! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have solved the problem! If your PNG was exported for screens, it will render with a green background in InDesign.

Instead, make sure you export your PNG through the "Export as" option instead and then select a transparent background. That should do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign only supports transparent PNG files saved in PNG24 format. The PNG8 format with transparency doesn't work - please resave the files as PNG24 and it will be sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agh! This update means that the workflow for an entire project has broken down for me. Exporting assets from Ai for screens is a lot more organised and streamlined. It's easier to quickly update and export iterations of PNGs but export for screens only allows you to export up to PNG 8.

It would be nice if when updating creative cloud apps, Adobe updated more features consistently. Why can export as have a similar dialogue to export for screens for instance in Ai?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the benefit in converting vectors into bitmaps? Is this a print project, why not save and place .AI files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The print doc struggles to load in textured illustrations and custom pattern swatches from Ai quickly and updating links takes an age when these vectors then have to be updated with every save. Plus, to protect IP of vector illustrations and creative when packaging to hand over for this project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not seeing the problem, Export for Screens gives me a PNG and PNG 8 option— PNG exports with transparency.

Screen Shot 17.png

Besides rasterizing vectors, PNG has to be RGB and Illustrator doesn’t give you the option to include a color profile and color manage an exported PNG. If you really have to rasterize for print, Export As to PSD would be better if quality matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest InDesign update is having issues displaying PNG 8 in which it either doesn't recognise the alpha transparency or glitches the image. In my project, I have since replaced the PNG 8 links with PNG 24 and now issue is resolved.

Screenshot 2020-10-04 at 21.02.15.png

My criticism was that the workflow of exporting assets using export for screens doesn't give the option for PNG 24 and that the ability to export assets and artboards for screens is a feature I use a lot for my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has changed with the latest version, index color RGB (8-bit PNG) has never included transparency. Here is CS6:

Screen Shot.png

You could file a feature request, but using PNGs and web assets in a print workflow is far from ideal so I’d be surprised to see any change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is doing the same thing! Such a paint to go in and resave it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just export as .psd or even .tiff with transparency. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ,
To resolve this background issue that appears on transparent PNG-type images, I saved the png image as PDF.

It worked for me keeping the background transparent when I imported the corresponding PDF into InDesign cc.
Hope this helps more than one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!!!! This helped me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines