Highlighted

Indesign 2020 doesn't support transparent PNG and adds a colored background

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new version of Indesign doesn't seem to be willing to import transparent PNG files. I tried with a bunch of different images with no background and Indesign automatically adds a green or black background to it (see screenshot below). Any ideas as to how this can be fixed?

Somehow, the same problem occurs with the previous version of Indesign (2019) that is still installed on my computer.

I never had this issue before.

Many thanks for the help

Capture d’écran 2019-12-19 à 10.01.31.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by nigelfrench | Adobe Community Professional

It seems that InDesign only supports transparency with PNG-24 files, and not with PNG-8 files—even if the 8-bit files have been saved with the transparency option. You could resave as PNG-24, but if you're going to that trouble, you might as well, as George-S suggests, save as a PSD.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Indesign 2020 doesn't support transparent PNG and adds a colored background

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new version of Indesign doesn't seem to be willing to import transparent PNG files. I tried with a bunch of different images with no background and Indesign automatically adds a green or black background to it (see screenshot below). Any ideas as to how this can be fixed?

Somehow, the same problem occurs with the previous version of Indesign (2019) that is still installed on my computer.

I never had this issue before.

Many thanks for the help

Capture d’écran 2019-12-19 à 10.01.31.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by nigelfrench | Adobe Community Professional

It seems that InDesign only supports transparency with PNG-24 files, and not with PNG-8 files—even if the 8-bit files have been saved with the transparency option. You could resave as PNG-24, but if you're going to that trouble, you might as well, as George-S suggests, save as a PSD.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 18, 2019 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just this file or all files. Have you tried a new file?

If it's just one file - then export that file to IDML and open the IDML in InDesign and save it as an indesign file.

If it's all files then try resetting your preferences. https://www.google.com/search?q=indesign+reset+preferences&oq=indesign+reset+preferences&aqs=chrome....

And finally - are you 100% sure your Fill colour for frame is set to none?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2019 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fill assigned to the frame.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2019 0
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign doesn't support natively and fully png, and even have sometime problems with .tif transparency.

Plus, I have has few times in practice that InDesign crushed because of imported some png-files.

IMHO, you're need to open all your .png-files and re-save as .psd (through Photoshop!). 

I don't wanna hear it any words that I don't right here, because in practise you're need to exclude any known bugs with "supported on the paper image formats". Used to and use it in 95% only .psd for raster images and only .ai for vector images, "only hardcore"! Time is money. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your insights!

Here are my answers to your questions and what I think the problem might be:

• I have tried a new InDesign file and the save problem occurs
  • My background and border color are both set to none
  • When I open a completely different PNG file (one that I created on Illustrator, as opposed to these fruits & veggies pictures I downloaded), I don't have the problem
  • When I re-save my pictures with Photoshop as .psd and .png, some images finally appear without a background, some are still imported with a dark-green background

I'm starting to believe the issue doesn't come from Adobe but the source of my PNG which I got from this image bank https://www.stickpng.com/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2019 0
Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2019 7