• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 2020 Freezes when i do anything.

Advocate ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time i open Indesign 2020 it freezes no matter what i do. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, Reset preferences, Restarted in safemode (i can open the app here). It just started today it ran perfect last week.  Indesign 2019 it works just fine how can we fix 2020 since thats where all my files are created?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Apologies for the delayed response. We're sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing version of the OS & InDesign? Does it freeze while working on a specific document or all? Do you work on files saved on network?

This info will help us understand the issue and assist you accordingly.

You may also try resetting the preferences manually and see if it helps. Please follow the instructions below:

For Windows 

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Locations : 
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe  
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe. 
  •  Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from CC. 

For MAC  

• Close all adobe applications 
  • Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from the CC 

**Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is freezing and lagging ALL THE TIME now for me as well. Sometimes when i simply start it, but nearly all the time now with most Indesign file im working on. Especially if the document has any linked graphics. Resource wise its as though it barely exists. 500 MB Ram usage and 0 CPU. It sits there doing nothing, not computing anything, just freezing.

We have been using indesign for nearly 10 years and its never been this bad. Our workflow has hardly changed at all in that time. More specifically: is it is accessing the same drives (NAS, the HHDs within the enclosure have been upgraded within that 10 years though) over the same network (same router we've had for the last 5 or so years), even the exact same files and similar files with similar amount of median in each.

Example: A calendar file, which only includes in 2 pages: Calendar Grid (linked InDesign file with same complexity for last ten years, just some lines, numbers and 6 tiny 1cmx1cm moons), 4 photos, and text.

Thats it. The files have at times been linked to massive 550MB multilayer Tiff images, or just small >10MB jpegs. In the past it could churn thorugh those big linked files no problem. Stutters on export, but as far working its fine in medium preview settings, and even in high. But now these days its freezing all the time.

It is especially noticable when Bridge is open. If the two are open at the same time it can get extra slow and freeze extra long. I have been typing this out for 15 minutes while getting up to grab a drink etc and InDesign is still stuck on god knows what so i cant even check which version, so ill guess.

InDesign: one before 15.11 (InDesign frozen so looked in Creative Cloud)

File Acess: NAS drive (connected over same router same way of last 5-10 years with mostly no chronic problem before)

- Angry me waasting time and money

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using packaged files with document fonts folders? If so, install the fonts and rename the document fonts folder.

You also haven't told us the system specs. Processor and RAM.

Have you tried copying to local harddrive (which should be solid state) to eliminate the network?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is v14 doesn't have this lags?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>>  Indesign 2019 it works just fine how can we fix 2020 since thats where all my files are created?

Time is money, revert your work to v14 by idml-export. 

Send to Adobe support all the lagged files and wait their answer why it works slow than v14. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines