Highlighted

InDesign 2020 grouped objects and alt text issue

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create some images by grouping different objects together and giving the grouped object a custom alt-text value in the Object Export menu. Since updating to InDesign 2020, I've experienced an alt-text Catch 22. If I group objects together and only give alt-text to the group as a whole, Adobe Acrobat Accessibility Checker sees each individual object as missing alt-text and flags it as an error. If I give the individual objects in the grouped object a custom alt-text value of "" or some other value, I get a "nested alt-text" error in Adobe Acrobat. To summarize, I get an error whether I add alt-text to the grouped object only, or to the individual objects in a group. Apparently, my only non-error option is to never have grouped objects in InDesign. But my preference is for Adobe Acrobat to read a grouped object as a singular object with a single custom alt-text. Is this a bug in the update or is there another solution? Thank you for your help.

Correct answer by Zearning | Community Beginner

Well, it does seem like Adobe has fixed this error sometime in the last release or so. Turns out it was a bug on Adobe's part. Thank you all for your help in this thread.

TOPICS
Bug, EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign 2020 grouped objects and alt text issue

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create some images by grouping different objects together and giving the grouped object a custom alt-text value in the Object Export menu. Since updating to InDesign 2020, I've experienced an alt-text Catch 22. If I group objects together and only give alt-text to the group as a whole, Adobe Acrobat Accessibility Checker sees each individual object as missing alt-text and flags it as an error. If I give the individual objects in the grouped object a custom alt-text value of "" or some other value, I get a "nested alt-text" error in Adobe Acrobat. To summarize, I get an error whether I add alt-text to the grouped object only, or to the individual objects in a group. Apparently, my only non-error option is to never have grouped objects in InDesign. But my preference is for Adobe Acrobat to read a grouped object as a singular object with a single custom alt-text. Is this a bug in the update or is there another solution? Thank you for your help.

Correct answer by Zearning | Community Beginner

Well, it does seem like Adobe has fixed this error sometime in the last release or so. Turns out it was a bug on Adobe's part. Thank you all for your help in this thread.

TOPICS
Bug, EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 25, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you setting the Object Export Options for the group? Are you setting the group to artifact?

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Mike. I am not setting the group to artifact. However, I can even set the individual objects inside the group of objects to be artifacted, and yet I still experience these issues. It seems like the issue is caused by the fact that these objects are grouped.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your group contain nested groups within the main group? If so, try in grouping everything and creating one single group. Add alt text to that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Chad. I've been creating groups without using any nested groups. The single group is a group of individual objects.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, still a problem, even in CC 2020. Please fix this, Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0