InDesign 2020 Hyperlinks Disappeared?

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document tht is 162 pages of part numbers and pricing that goes to print then I create an interactive pdf and convert the part numbers to hyperlinks in InDesign.  I open the previous document and import the Hyperlink Character Style from the old document and then update any new hyperlinks.  I did some reformatting of tabbed text to tables however, when I opened my document this time, nothing, when selecting a hyperlink it takes upwards of 1-2 minutes just to select!  I have over 10,000 part numbers to hyperlink before the end of the year!  I am in desperate need of help, either fixing or recreating quickly.

 

Thanks so very much!

TOPICS
EPUB, Import and export, Performance, Publish online, Scripting

Views

96

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is hard to recreate. I did get a weird error though with hyperlink text becoming overset when converting to tables. I'm wondering if this might of happened to you. Do you have preflight on at the moment. If so try turning this off and it might fix the selection lag.

Other possible fixes would be to break your document up into mulit documents to reduce the lag.

 

Ultimate fix would be to create a script to automatically make your hyperlinks.

I found this link to a topic that had something close to what you want.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/automatically-create-hyperlinks-with-a-script/td-p/10075631?...

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the sugestions!  I have seen the error with hyperlink text becoming overset when converting to tables!  This took me a bit to get corrected and I did use the preflight to catch them all.  I have turned off preflight to try and speed things up but didn't seem to help.  

 

I am trying th script, unfortunately my part numbers are not uniform, not the same number of digits, dashes, alpha and numerical.  I am now trying the Rorohiko script and use it for the para style, thoughts?

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a good solution. If you show me a couple of examples of your part numbers I might be able to give you a GREP string that could handle most of them.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry auto sign in logged me in wrong.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines