• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2020 keeps crashing

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked on an .indd file the other day and saved it like I always do. I updated all my Adobe Creative Cloud programs today to the newest 2020 version and now that same file causes InDesign to give me the spinning wheel until I have to force quit because it become unresponsive. Any suggestions? I've restarted my computer at least twice and re-downloaded the 2020 InDesign software but am still having the same issue.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

If you had the option checked during the install to import previous settings and preference then trashing your preferences could take care of the problem. Hopefully resetting the program to its defaults in this manner will get rid of that spinning wheel.

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Comman

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had the option checked during the install to import previous settings and preference then trashing your preferences could take care of the problem. Hopefully resetting the program to its defaults in this manner will get rid of that spinning wheel.

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe InDesign” and the file called “com.adobe.InDesign.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

For Windows Users: You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching InDesign and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

To do so: On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>. Make sure that InDesign is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this and it still crashes when I try to package the file. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.

In addition to the suggestion given by Bill, I'd recommend you to convert same file in IDML in old version and then try to open it in new one. It could be a file specific issue if this is the only file which is causing InDesign to crash.

Let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this as well and it won't even open the IDML file. Spinning beachball every time. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with InDesign. Issue reported above was InDesign crashing while packaging the file. Are you facing the same issue? I would also need a few more details like:

• Does it seem to crash at random or after a particular action?
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • Where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently.

We're here to help, just need more info.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems you are not alone.

I have lost countless reports with the latest 2021 version.

Place an image 'cmd d' and away goes my work. Re-start the app and sure enough back to half way through the report and hours of work wasted. To say nothing of my temper.

Strange how this has started now we have to pay for the privelage of using inDesign.

Can anyone help?

Come back Pagemaker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is also happening to me. Now in addition to the crashes for no reason it's crashing on command-D. Then when I do get it to place the file randomly it unlinks the file that has NOT been moved and this is while I'm still working on the file. I'm losing my mind and can't get anything done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines