• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 2020 paragraph style SPACE BEFORE not working

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign 2020 - "space before" on the control toolbar is not working. It does work in 2019.

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your Paragraph settings - it could have to do with the new Space Between Paragraphs Using Same Style settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please explain?  WHAT paragraph setting?  What is this new "Space between paragraphs" you speak of and why does it cause my paragraph leadings to stop working? Alternatively, can you point us to where might one find all this information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 18.png

psmm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ds316 -- Please be polite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be useful for styling something like a multiple paragraph excerpt with a single style:

Screen Shot 19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rob_day, Thank you for the specific, helpful responses. My problem arose, apparently, when this feature was seemingly randomly applied to styles in documents created before the feature was added. Suddenly my paragraph leading settings were not working. My apologies for expressing my frustration earlier (now edited for supportiveness).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly my paragraph leading settings were not working.

That sounds more like an Align to Baseline Grid setting:

Screen Shot 21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tripped over this, bringing me to this forum to figure out why Space Before wasn't working. I've set a lot of type in my day and cannot imagine how this a feature would add the least value to a designer's life. Further, it's hard to imagine how the two settings wouldn't conflict. Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. Lists can be tricky when you want space above and below the list and less space (or none) between the list items. Space Between Paragraphs Using the Same Style to the rescue. 

~Barb

Lists.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's perhaps most useful in bullet/numbered lists. You can set above and below spacing that separates the list from the surrounding text, then set a separate "in between" spacing so that all of the list items are some (usually) closer distance apart, without having to have three styles (start, middle, last).

Setting it to "Ignore" makes it effectively go away and the style's top and bottom spacing controls inter-paragraph spacing as it always has.

I've found it very convenient for the right uses... like those lists.

ETA: Barb beat me by 40 seconds but did a much better job. 🙂

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines