Highlighted

InDesign 2020 preferences deleted after crash on macOS High Sierra

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting increasingly annoyed, very annoyed that InDesign 2020 wipes out all preferences on relaunch after it crashes. Every time it crashes (no version I've used previously has crashed as often) I have to reload profiles, user interface, links refs, keyboard short-cuts etc, etc. It's costing me hours of time!

Steve

InDesign 15.0.2

macOS High Sierra

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", Late 2015)
3.2GHz
Mem: 16GB

{Renamed by MOD}

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign 2020 preferences deleted after crash on macOS High Sierra

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting increasingly annoyed, very annoyed that InDesign 2020 wipes out all preferences on relaunch after it crashes. Every time it crashes (no version I've used previously has crashed as often) I have to reload profiles, user interface, links refs, keyboard short-cuts etc, etc. It's costing me hours of time!

Steve

InDesign 15.0.2

macOS High Sierra

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", Late 2015)
3.2GHz
Mem: 16GB

{Renamed by MOD}

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, 

So sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with InDesign. Could you please share a few more details before we start troubleshooting? For example:

• Share crash logs by following the steps shared here (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html).
  • Does it happen only when the application is crashed? Does the preferences remain saved when you close the application manually or restart your machine?
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently. 
  • Copy the InDesign Preferneces folders from following location and save it on Desktop as backup.
    ~/Library/Caches 
    ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Check how it works in Root account (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012)?

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti
Yes, I only lose my preferences when InDesign suddenly quits.
InDesign generally quits when working in a fairly complex table. For me InDesign (across all versions) has historically occasionally quit when working in tables – previously InDesign has never resorted to near absolute setup when it restarts.
Losing preference setup has only been happening since I installed ID 2020.
I did try making a backup copy of my ID prefs but only copied the one obvious folder.
I will try again using the other one as well

Kind regards

Steve Griffiths | Graphic Designer
{Personal Info removed by MOD}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for sharing the details. I would like to know if the steps suggested above helped resolving the issue.

Also, I would suggest trying these steps in you free time to provide permissions to InDesign preferences folders.

Go to Terminal (Go > Utilities > Terminal.app)
Execute the following command on terminal:
sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign
sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign
sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support

Let us know if that helps or if you have any other query.

Regards!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines