• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2020 Randomly Crashes (Files accessed through Google Stream)

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First-time poster, so bear with me. 

My organization uses G-Suite with most of our activity being in Gmail and Google Drive. We take advantage of the Shared Drives so we can store files in a central location that can be accessed by any staff member on any machine.

I use Google Stream so I can work within File Explorer instead of going through my internet browser to access Drive. This ensures that I am always accessing the most recent file, even if I am using a different machine, like my home computer. It's also easier this way because I don't have to download the file, edit it, and then upload it back to the cloud. There is less user error, and it saves time. 

At least once or twice a month (sometimes more), InDesign will randomly crash or lock-up when I am working on files. Sometimes it's just when I am scrolling through the document (which is never any longer than 28 letter-size pages and never has complex layers). Sometimes it's when I am browsing for an image to place. Sometimes it's when I go to select multiple elements. Sometimes it's when I go to save the file. There is no pattern to what causes it to crash. When it does crash, I almost always lose my files because they become corrupt, and then I email my good friend Abhinav from Indd file recovery team. There have been several times he can't even recover the file.

I've referred to Adobe's troubleshooting site many times (https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html#device_issues)  but I can't figure out what specifically is causing my files to become so corrupt that they can no longer be opened or even recovered by the experts.

Recently, I received an error message about removable devices when saving a file (see Screenshot2). This was the first and only time I saw this message, and I didn't do anything different from my normal workflow. This got me thinking that it has something to do with the fact that I access files through Google Stream, which Adobe apparently recognizes as a removable device. 

I strongly feel that I should be able to take advantage of cloud technology without constantly losing my Adobe files to irreparable corruption. If InDesign wants to crash because the location path is disrupted for a brief second, I can live with that (but also, how, because I'm not unplugging or disconnecting anything). But it shouldn't destroy my file, right? 

Any tips or two-cents is appreciated. Thanks all! 

TOPICS
How to , Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You won't want to hear this but you're not the first to complain about google drive screwing things up. If there's a smart synch feature that keeps files in the cloud until you try to open them, turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Bob. Here's another current thread on problems with opening from Google Drive:

Downloaded a file I had stored on Google Drive - Mac recognises as an INDD but can't open it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Bob and Steve! I should have posted to the forums sooner as little things I didn't think about before are now starting to click. I will try turning off the smart sync feature, but it seems like using Google Drive/Stream is not a safe storage/access option for InDesign files (much to my dismay). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a work around for this? Or did turning off the smart sync feautre work? We have same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why don't you try it and find out? This discussion is four years old. If after trying that it doesn't work, create a new discussion with full details on your problems.

I'm locking this to avoid any future confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines