Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2020 slow performance on Windows 10

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Last week I bought a new computer (Specs: i7-9700K, NVIDIA GTX2070, RAM 32gb, 512gb + 4tb storage), and installed CC2020. However, after opening the software (esp Illustrator, InDesign or Acrobat) my computer becomes sluggish - typing gets slow, selecting objects in Illustrator becomes unresponsive, etc. I have read several posts about this subject over the years, but there does not seem to be a good solution to this - maybe reverting back to an old version is the best one can do? Does anyone else have the same issue with this latest update?

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, same with me, I am downgrading back to previous Illustrator version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joost,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with InDesign. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

1. The version of the Operating System.
  2. Is it slow while working on a specific document or with any documents?

We’re here to help, just need more information.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

The OS is Windows 10 vs 1903 - i.e. the latest update. I also make sure I have the latest drivers for my graphics card - to no avail. My computer becomes slow with any document in InDesign, Illustrator or Acrobat CC2020, and it's getting worse during the day, or with more programs opened simultaneously. As soon as I close these programs, all other software works fine again. An Adobe log report did not give any clue, neither did online help from your technical group.

The only option seems to be downgrading to CC2019 again, as Pedrodemar suggested. I have done that, and sofar it seems to work. But I reckon Adobe will look for a better solution?? 

Hopefully you can find where the problem lies in your software, because it is a real pain. 

Best, Joost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the sake of clarity, the latest is 1909 but that said, this would appear to be something specific to your system. I'm running 2020 on Win 10 and find all of the 2020 apps to be as fast or faster than 2019.

For reference, I'm on 1909 with a 6th gen i7 and 32GB RAM and a solid-state drive.

Are you running a network? Any third party plugins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input Bob. Good to know you have no problem. You are right, but 1909 is still optional here, would be great if that were the solution to this issue. According to Adobe helpdesk I would have no problem when using 1903, which apparently does not work for me. All software has been installed on my SSD - similar specs as yours. My files are saved on my internal hard drive (HDD) and backed-up on Dropbox. Never had problems with this set-up before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the new Dropbox feature that stores files in the cloud-only automatically enabled? If so, turn it off. It's been causing issues for some users and found it a bit wonky myself for large files. This screenshot should help if you don't know what I'm talking about:

2019-11-19_7-27-12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks again for thinking along with me. Yep, I thought of this too, and switched it off at installation. I guess the 1909 update might do the trick. No problems with stability? Since it is optional I was wondering whether it would still be a beta version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've actually been running it since August. It's a minor update in the scheme of thing and I doubt very much it's going to help here.

Another troubleshooting step would be to create a new user account on that machine and try it there. If everything works fine, you can at least start looking at the differences there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, could be an option and I will give it a try. However, last week I also installed the upgrade on my other computer. Now I have the same issue there too. So, it is not due to this specific computer it seems? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

and one other thing; I noticed you changed the title of my original post, but for people who are experiencing the same, I would prefer you replace InDesign with CC2020 again - it is not just InDesign that causes sluggishness.

Joost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing additional information Joost. Regarding the title of the post, I understand that the issue is with entire CC 2020 however the only reason I changed that to InDesign 2020 as this post is in the InDesign community and it would be easier for the users to search InDesign related content with the title used.

Now coming over to the issue since you have already downgraded to 2019 version, I would recommend trying below steps in your free time and share your observation:

1. Reset Preferences: 
  • Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Locations : 
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe  
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe. 
  •  Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from CC.

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.  

1. If that doesn't help, try booting the system into Safe Mode (https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode) and check how it works there. It starts your system so that it performs certain checks and prevents third party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe mode, then there is some third party service or application like antivirus, plugins or web extensions which are conflicting with the InDesign.
  2. If that doesn't help either, login to the Hidden Admin account (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfbMs3w-Z3s&t=53s). Check how the application works there. If it works fine there, then it could be related to permission errors. Follow these steps to repair permission errors: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/preferences-folder-read-only-issue.html
  3. If nothing helps, then we need to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help on a live session that way.
This video shows how to enable the hidden administrator account on Windows 10. This works for Windows 8 and 7 seven as well. Here is the command to enable the hidden administrator account net user administrator /active:yes Here is the command to disable it net user administrator /active:no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will try when I have a bit more time available. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the previous weeks I tried to reset the preference folders - no luck. I also logged in as admin, and tried for an hour or so - everything seemed to work fine there. Permission was okay though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

same here!
I have quite competitive machine but INDD 2020 is very sluggish.
Resetting preferences didn't work.

Also copying with ALT doesn't work (applicable to 15.0.0 and 15.0.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will sound a little strange but do you have an interactive wall paper set?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I do, will try immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just go to a standard wallpaper. I don't know why but those Bing wallpapers can cause all kinds of issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, maybe I did not understand you correctly. I have one of those background slideshows provided by Microsoft. That's not what you mean right? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I mean. That's the Bing slideshow theme.

Get rid of it and choose a static wallpaper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorted! Bob, if that would be the solution, I owe you a very large G&T! 🙂

I'll keep you posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck. And do let us know.

It's kind of an obscure thing I stumbled on a while back. I was all ready to blow out my machine before I found that fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is to let you know that after I chose a static wallpaper first thing this morning, I have been working in Illustrator for 6 hours now, and have not yet discovered any disturbance or sluggishness! I will try further obviously, but this trick seems to work! Many thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines