Highlighted

Indesign 2020 very slow exporting to PDF on macOS Mojave

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrade to Indesign 2020, very slow export to PDF. I am on Imac with Mojave.

Indesign 2019 2-5 seconds. Indesign 2020 18-20 seconds. Is there a fix?

{Renamed By MOD}

Topics

Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Indesign 2020 very slow exporting to PDF on macOS Mojave

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrade to Indesign 2020, very slow export to PDF. I am on Imac with Mojave.

Indesign 2019 2-5 seconds. Indesign 2020 18-20 seconds. Is there a fix?

{Renamed By MOD}

Topics

Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export your InDesign file to IDML- open that IDML file in InDesign 2020.

Try your export from your new InDesign file. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't increase the speed. So far, the only work around is to use InDesign 2019 which exports quickly. Something was changed in the 2020 version. Hope it will be fixed, someday. It is a real time consumer to open all my Indesign 2020 files and resave as idml, just so I can use Indesign 2019 to make sure I can export to PDF and not have to take all day to accomplish. Hopefully, Indesign 2019 will be supported for a long time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I have no idea why it's taking longer, 18-20 seconds is hardly an eternity and exporting to IDML to open in 2019 not only is going to take longer but it opens you up to text reflow and other possible changes to your document.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. The actual time difference per file is 24 seconds in Indesign 2020 and about 4 seconds in Indesign 2019. No, that's not a lot until you multiply by 100 files. Then it's 40 minutes compared to 7 minutes. I am old and this time difference seems like a lifetime. Due to the fact I only have about 100 files created on 2020, I will just go back to 2019 and be able to export to pdfs and have them finished while I am still around. I kind of thought that with the speed of computers getting faster over the years, that EXPENSIVE software should be able to keep up. Guess I'm wrong. I have been using Indesign since the start. I have spent $1000's over the years. Now I have to continue to pay every month for slower production.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the rest of your system specs. With each new version the requirements increase.

Additionally, are you fully patched to 15.0.1?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign 2020 Version 15.0.1.209

2017 Imac 3.8 GHz 40GB ram Mojave 10.14.3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with InDesign performance. Would you mind trying the steps below and share your observation:

1.  Reset Preferences: -
  • Close all Adobe applications 
  • Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from the CC

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.  

1. If that doesn't help, try booting the system into Safe Mode (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/global/start-safe-boot-mode-mac.html) and check how it works there. It starts your system so that it performs certain checks and prevents third party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe mode, then there is some third party service or application like antivirus, plugins or web extensions which are conflicting with the InDesign.

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I am a bit slow. I haven't been able to find the caches and preferences you refer to.

Attached are screen shots of the Library/Cache folder and the Library/Preferences folder. I only included the com.adobe preferences, not the com.apple.Library:Preferences 2019-12-19 at 10.39.34 AM.pngLibrary:Caches Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 10.40.06 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying. The folders would be in Tilde Library, have you checked  ~/Library/Caches and ~/Library/Preferences?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found them. Did as you suggested. No change. Still very sloooow. The 2019 version, still very FAST! I think that anyone who needs to make a large number of PDFs on a regular basis, should not upgrade to InDesign 2020.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been having the same issue. In older versions the fix was to turn off the preflight but that isn't an option in 2020.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please confirm if you have already tried the steps shared above? If you are still experiencing slow performance then we will need to troubleshoot this at your machine level, could you please reach out to us via phone or chat here? http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

We'll need to hop on a remote session to troubleshoot this further.

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure the best way to contact you. Clicking on the link you sent, only took me to another page.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did find where the preflight option is in 2020, under window:output, but what resolved the issue for our users was unchecking the high res option on her openasset images. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
ptully88 LATEST
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, exporting from InDesign is painfully slow. Just yesterday I was working on a 40 page brochure and wanted to export a low res pdf for proofing purposes, the first time I tried it crashed InDesign and IScreenshot 2020-07-14 at 09.16.48.png had to restart and the second time it took 13 minutes to export an 8mb low res pdf, its performance currently is a joke. Crashes every other day, I have similar problems with the new illustrator. so frustrating. Attached a screenshot of the machine i'm using.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this as well. Print ready files that used to take a few seconds to export in 2019 are now taking a few minutes in 2020.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was fortunate in that I had only converted less than 50 files to InDesign 2020 before I noticed the problem.

I tried everything suggested, but my only fix was to go back to InDesign 2019 and everything, regarding exporting pdf's, works just fine. Very fast. I just won't ever be able to upgrade to 2020 unless Adobe comes up with a fix. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have recently been suffering a similar issue with export times (InDesign v 15.0.3). I would be waiting over 25 mins for a single page file to export. There are no issues with my laptop (Surface Book 2). I realized this has to directly with the fact that the images in my file are linked to an online server. As I am working from home I have to connect to my office server using a VPN client, where my entire image library is stored. 

Export times were dramatically reduced as soon as I copy/pasted the indd file onto my PC and disconnected the office server connection. Not sure if this is an indd issue or a VPN issue. Eitherways, I hope this provides some answers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines