Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 2020 very unstable

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks,

my indesign (15.1.1. 64bit), which i reinstalled over an over again keeps randomly hanging/crashing. Windows 10 is showing "inactive" in the task manager details and I have to kill the task to restart the app. It is a real struggle to work like this. It crashed randomly when exporting to pdf (via shortcut) ... but since a few days it gets worse and it even hangs when saving (or it saves veeeery slow) - the status shows "inactive" for some time - then changes back to normal.

What could be the issue? I installed the latest Mayupdate of Windows - is that causing the problem? I deleted all preferences and reinstalled numerous times - no change.

I am close to resetting my whole system because of this issue.

Running on a lenovo p71 - 32 gigabyte DDR3 ECC RAM - nvidia Quadro P4000 - Intel XEON E3 1505M v6 3.00 GHz 8core processor.

PLEASE someone help me! How can I do a CLEAN reinstall so no issues are skipped and a "new" version of indesign is installed? What are the steps? That is my last try ... my nerves are down from weeks of hanging indesign, killing the task, restarting.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you opening files from a packaged folder with a document fonts folder in it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bob,

I read about that issue here but no. It happens with fresh new unpackaged documents as well as with packaged ones.

I am really exhausted by this issue. I found a thread where others are experiencing the same issues: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/32879956-indesign-perfo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Microsoft just released a major Windows update in the last few days. OS Build 18362.959 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4565483/windows-10-update-kb4565483

Check to see if upgrading to it will improve InDesign's behavior. Or make it worse! <grin>

Frankly, we've found 2020 to be unstable in many situations and have rolled back to 2019.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what is really strange is, that these hangs dont seem to be real crashes, since windows doesnt list an error in its protocol for all the times indesign crashed. I dont know if the export would work if I waited for a long time ... but why is indesign changing its status to "inactive" then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines