Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 2020 - Video in an interactive PDF

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to make an interactive pdf on indesign with a video on it (Indesign 2020 on the latest Macbook Pro).

First of all I cannot find the controler option that use to work on the previous versions of Indesign.

And even without the controler, the video is not playing when I am exporting it, there is just a picture of it.

I dont understand because the preview tab shows me that its suppose to work ...

I've tried with a .mov and a .mp4 in case that was the problem.

(Yes I have chose the interactive PDF when exporting).

Help me please  🙂

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that Flash has been dropped you can't do that anymore, you can put a hyperlink in your PDF to a YouTube or similar external video.

Alternatively, use FXL Pub or InDesign's Publish Online (or in5 an external InDesign plug-in at extra cost), which are all based on HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately interactive PDF is no longer a viable format for creating interactive documents. Adobe Acobat and Reader (the tools we relied on for viewing an interactive PDF) relied on Adobe Flash to play those videos and interactive elements. Since Adobe has now removed Flash from all of their products, interactive PDF essentially no longer works. You may want to try out exporting to a Fixed-Layout EPUB file which can handle video and animations however you'll need to use a different reader other than Acrobat or Reader to view the files. If you want even more robust options, I'd check out the In5 plug-in by ajarproductions.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I strongly support the idea of using in5. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing comes anywhere near it.

That said, check your Acrobat prefs as per this screenshot:

2020-09-23_8-41-56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. Do you have any idea how to do that with a Macbook ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do what with a MacBook?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But bear in mind that PDFs have the advantage that these documents can be easily produced from InDesign, the PDF can be emailed (or downloaded) to anyone and opened on any device just by double-clicking on the icon.

The HTML formats can include animations, multi-media etc, but can be tricky to produce, and you have to be online to read or download them and, in the case of FXL ePubs install a reader or, in the case of documents produced via in5, know how to launch a browser open the folder and navigate to the Index file  easy for us, but not intuative for many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to the suggestions given above, I'd request checking out this help article to know more about adding media/sound files in Adobe InDesign documents. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines