InDesign 2021 Color Find & Replace stopped working

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've been using InDesign's find & replace feature for color without issue. I'm finding certain docs in which this feature doesn't work. By that, I mean, the doc is searched and results in 0 instances found. I know there are many instances of that particular color swatch (I've check to make sure I'm selecting the correct color) and yet zero instances are found; in which case, I have to manually change those color swatches (painfully time consuming). 

Sometimes the document I'm trying to change is from a previous version of InDesign (2020) and I'm currently working in 2021. But not ALL documents from 2020 present problems. 

What would make the difference between docs that it works in most cases but not all? 

Thanks for any insight!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Steve Werner | Adobe Community Professional

It could be a bug in the feature but it seems like you haven't identified what makes some files work, and others not. If this issue happens with multiple files, you might troubleshoot by restoring your InDesign preferences to eliminate that as a possibility:

Adobe InDesign: Rebuilding Preferences and Cache Files ...www.rockymountaintraining.com › Adobe InDesign

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign 2021 Color Find & Replace stopped working

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've been using InDesign's find & replace feature for color without issue. I'm finding certain docs in which this feature doesn't work. By that, I mean, the doc is searched and results in 0 instances found. I know there are many instances of that particular color swatch (I've check to make sure I'm selecting the correct color) and yet zero instances are found; in which case, I have to manually change those color swatches (painfully time consuming). 

Sometimes the document I'm trying to change is from a previous version of InDesign (2020) and I'm currently working in 2021. But not ALL documents from 2020 present problems. 

What would make the difference between docs that it works in most cases but not all? 

Thanks for any insight!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Steve Werner | Adobe Community Professional

It could be a bug in the feature but it seems like you haven't identified what makes some files work, and others not. If this issue happens with multiple files, you might troubleshoot by restoring your InDesign preferences to eliminate that as a possibility:

Adobe InDesign: Rebuilding Preferences and Cache Files ...www.rockymountaintraining.com › Adobe InDesign

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe InDesign: Rebuilding Preferences and Cache Files ...www.rockymountaintraining.com › Adobe InDe...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Steve.

You're right...I cannot figure out why it happens with some documents and not others. 

This morning, I thought I'd give it a try with a few docs I was having trouble with before restoring my preferences and voila! they all worked fine. 

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thank you again for the response. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 0