• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2021 won't launch

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My InDesign auto-updated to 2021 (v16.0) overnight and this morning it simply won't launch. It get's to the "what's new" screen for a millisecond then crashes. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but same issue. Have now had to reinstall previous version (v15.1.2)... anyone else having this problem? I'm on a new 16" MacBook Pro (as of Jan 2020)... Adobe helpline are ignoring me!

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021
Hi all,

We're sorry to hear about your experience. Please make sure you're using the latest version of Adobe InDesign for better experience and performance. Follow the steps shared in this help article to update your app.

If you still facing problems launching InDesign, please try resetting InDesign preferences by following these steps:
For Windows-
  • Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Locations : 
    C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe 
    C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe
  •  Rename InDesign folders

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here... updated to latest version and now it crashes on the initial startup page, and can't even be closed in task manager (using windows 10). Trying to reinstall previous version but that's not working either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the program auto updated it most likely used the option to "import previous settings and preferences". Traditionally using this option affects program performance and really should be avoided. Try deleting your InDesign preferences and see if that makes a difference.

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe InDesign” and the file called “com.adobe.InDesign.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

For Windows Users: You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching InDesign and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

To do so: On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>. Make sure that InDesign is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works!!!  Or at least it did for my problem!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success! Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works! Thanks so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legend, Bill. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I tried this, but can not seem to find the file to delete in the preference folder? Please advise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue. Can't seem to locate the preference folder to delete the file on my Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'd request updating your app to the latest version of Adobe InDesign.

Also, please follow suggestions given on this community post(https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/advanced-troubleshooting-for-launch-issues/td-p/11394034?pag...) & let us know if it helps.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we have to delete our preferences to install a new version, how do we reincorporate those preferences in the new version? Is there some way to transfer them or do we just need to remember what we did every time it updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I certainly agree. It seems that "trash your preferences file" is the go-to answer for any problem in these forums. The prefs are extremly valuable with tons of small adjustments. It is not something that I would trash to "see if it helps". It is very rare for other software to corrupt its own prefs files, yes it might happen, but the frequency of this advise on Adobe forums is surprising. I have worked with InDesign since version 1.5 (moving from Quark). We are around 30 designers working all day in InDesign. I cannot remember one single time deleting prefs has been the correct solution to any of the problems InDesign has thrown at us. But then again, maybe we have just been lucky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately every time that InDesign is updated it involves new code in the program which may or may not be compatible with every preference that has been set up for previous versions. A lot of this happens because Adobe is an outside provider of programs that are made to run on operating systems that Adobe has no hand in maintaining and upgrading. The last couple of Macintosh OSs have pretty much thrown out a lot of the rules that have been at the core of running a Mac for a very long time. Windows 10 keeps the same name but is constantly upgrading with no thought whatsoever for compatibility with earlier versions of outside programs. For both Mac and Windows the Adobe upgrades are mostly trying to just keep up with the new restrictions and requirements that Apple and Microsoft keep laying out. It is hardly surprising then that each new version of Creative Cloud apps work best when setting them up from scratch.

As to whether deleting preferences can be a helpful tool for solving problems in moments not involving an upgrade. I suggest you follow the instructions in the bold faced paragraph of my preference instructions and keep a copy of your "pristine" preference file. Use a copy of that to replace preferences when whacky things start to happen. I have found this an extremely useful, time saving way to quickly solve annoying problems for a very long time now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all boils down to validating input. (As usual!)

Application preferences does seldom depend on OS spesific changes. It is some flavour of 'a bunch of XML files with stuff that overrides the default settings':
  --unit of measurement: mm
  --Use inline input for non-Latin text: no
  --use GPU: no
etc etc

The application must then choose to either use the default value or a user chosen value.

Now, if there is a problem with an element; what to do?
1) Validate input and ignore the object if it is out of bounds?
or
2) Just crash the whole bazaar?

Most software go for the 1) option. Given Adobes track record of constantly corrupting the prefs files [according to these forums] maybe given this a tad higher priority would be a good thing.

I do not understand how this is the fault of the OS. Adobe achive impressive stuff with its software and I fully agree that keeping everything running under constantly changing OS conditions really is challenging and difficult. Handling prefs files however should not be one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copying and pasting this "delete your preferences" for every single problem is getting really annoying and is absolute nonsemse and not moderation support at all. Or "uninstall and reinstall" are seemingly the only two answers to anything involving crashes or data recovery for files and I am getting incredibly frustrated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill, I am facing the same issue. I have just updated to Big Sur, and updated Adobe CC apps. Now Indesign 2021 freezes and becomes unresponsive when I try to open files I was working on 1 day ago. I have uninstalled Indesign and reinstalled 3 times, and also deleted the preference files as you have suggested and still Indesign won't work.  My IT department cannot help... pleaese do you have any support on this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I cannot launch InDesign and I have tried to follow this instruction >
(https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-2021-won-t-launch/td-p/11540264#:~:text=to%20its%20... For Windows Users: You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching InDesign and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset.
However, it is not working.

I have tried to do it 4 times but when it comes to open it only the loading icon pops up without actually opening InDesign 2021.

What else could I try to open it up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try following the instructions that are there for manually deleting preferences on a PC. Make sure when you do that InDesign is closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10:  renamed the file as suggested, restarted pc, then InDesign finally opened.  Found the newly-created preferences file next to the old renamed one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ugh same and delete preferences this that bill suggested didn't work.. wtf!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Just changed my computer yesterday, now using the Macbook Air 2020. I have downloaded Indesign 2021 from my Adobe profile, it installed fine and right after installation I was able to use it, although it froze a couple of times. Today I wanted to open one of my files and Indesign won't open. It doesn't show any error message, just doesn't open up. Not from the Dock, not from Launchpad and not by clicking on an Indesign file. What can I do? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, Indesign won't launch any files. I'm still running Mojave 10.14.6. Any help???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here -- I've tried all these suggestions but still indiesign will not open any files -- any other fixes??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied this out of a previous post but this worked for me.  Good luck!

When the program auto updated it most likely used the option to "import previous settings and preferences". Traditionally using this option affects program performance and really should be avoided. Try deleting your InDesign preferences and see if that makes a difference.

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe InDesign” and the file called “com.adobe.InDesign.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines