Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

indesign Absolute pages numbers don't export to PDF

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I have a 10 page indesign document that has evolved over time. At one stage I had a couple of different layouts and they had their own page numbers. I have since combined all the pages into 1 layout with absolute numbering selected in the preferences. 

The pages are numbered correctly in InDesign. When I export to PDF it imposes the old, redudant 2 layout page numbering. I have tried closing and opening the document + closing and opening InDesign. It keeps happening. 
I made of copy of the InDesign file and exported from that, it still displayed the obsolete page numbers.

How can I get the PDF to display the correct absolute page numbers?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Hi RiriW,

auto page numbers used in text are never absolute numbers.

They always follow the numbering schemes set in the sections of the Pages panel.

To get your page numbers right you have to change the numbering scheme of the sections in the Pages panel starting with page 1 in your document.

Absolute numbering is only changing the numbers you are seeing in the Pages panel.

Never the rendered number of a text variable that refers to a page number or name.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using masters? Maybe you have a based on master master? Can we see screenshots of your set up of the page numbers and master?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RiriW,

auto page numbers used in text are never absolute numbers.

They always follow the numbering schemes set in the sections of the Pages panel.

To get your page numbers right you have to change the numbering scheme of the sections in the Pages panel starting with page 1 in your document.

Absolute numbering is only changing the numbers you are seeing in the Pages panel.

Never the rendered number of a text variable that refers to a page number or name.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you think to change the numbers that appear below the page thumbnails and in the Page Navigation toolbar in pdf file?

you can change this numbers in Acrobat "page lables"

numbers that appear below the page thumbnails and in the Page Navigation toolbar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

I hope your issue is resolved already but in case you need more assistance please reply to this thread. 

Else, if any of the solutions above helped, please confirm. 

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines