Highlighted

InDesign: Adjusting 'space after' for only last line of bulleted list (using paragraph style)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a paragraph style for a bullet list. However, I want the "space after" amount for the last bullet in the list to be different by default than the "space after" amount for the rest of the bullets within the list. For instance, in a list of five items, I want bullets 1-4 to have a space after of "0.0625 in," but for the fifth (and final) bullet in the list, I want it to be "0.1389 in."

I've set the "space after" in my paragraph style to "0.0625 in" -- but I don't want to have to manually go back to every list to change the final line to the greater spacing I desire. Is there a way to customize a paragraph style in such a way?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Kristin:

In v 13 or earlier, define the bullets normally with desired space between the bullets:

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 12.17.39 PM.png

Then select the bullets, and set the Span to Span All:

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 12.19.26 PM.png

Then Alt/Opt click on the icon in front of Span All to open the Span Columns dialog box. You can define space for both before and after the spanned bullets:Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 12.19.55 PM.png

If you are using paragraph styles, you can use Redefine Styles to update all of the bullet lists in your document.

~Barb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign: Adjusting 'space after' for only last line of bulleted list (using paragraph style)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a paragraph style for a bullet list. However, I want the "space after" amount for the last bullet in the list to be different by default than the "space after" amount for the rest of the bullets within the list. For instance, in a list of five items, I want bullets 1-4 to have a space after of "0.0625 in," but for the fifth (and final) bullet in the list, I want it to be "0.1389 in."

I've set the "space after" in my paragraph style to "0.0625 in" -- but I don't want to have to manually go back to every list to change the final line to the greater spacing I desire. Is there a way to customize a paragraph style in such a way?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Kristin:

In v 13 or earlier, define the bullets normally with desired space between the bullets:

Then Alt/Opt click on the icon in front of Span All to open the Span Columns dialog box. You can define space for both before and after the spanned bullets:Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 12.19.55 PM.png

If you are using paragraph styles, you can use Redefine Styles to update all of the bullet lists in your document.

~Barb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 07, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kristen:

There is a new feature that addresses this specific issue in CC 2019 (v 14) and a work-around that is effective for a 1-column layout in earlier versions. Which version are you using?

We can explain the one that will work for you once you let us know your version.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'm on CC 2018, so still v13, I believe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2018 0
Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kristin:

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2018 0
New Here ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb, do you mind sharing the other method? Looking to accomplish the same thing in v14.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2019 0
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joel:

In version 14, it is way easier.

In the first screen shot, all of the text has the space after turned on to add space below all of the selected paragraph. Bullets are activated for the selected text.

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 4.30.23 PM.png

Activated bullets for the selected text. To leave the space above and below the list intact, but simultaneously remove the space between bullets set Space Between Paragraphs using the Same Style to 0 (or whatever value you like.)

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 4.30.34 PM.png

If you are using styles, redefine your bullet style.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2019 4
New Here ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, exactly what I needed!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2019 1
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrific. Happy to help, Joel.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2019 0
Explorer ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loved learning this little gem.  Can't tell you how many docs I've created and manually adjusted the last item in a list.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That worked!

I realized I also then had to make sure my footnotes were set to "span across columns," too, so that they continue to format correctly.

Thanks again for the fast help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2018 1
Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Glad I could help.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2018 0
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb, you are really smart and know a massive amount about InDesign, and you have solved problems for me in the past. This variant of the above may be insoluble without InDesign changing, but…

How to you get the spacing to come out right for multiple levels of bullets without manually adjusting the spacing? If there were an option "Space Between Paragraphs Based on Same Style" that might work, so that you could adjust the spacing between more than one level of bullet, that would work, but it doesn't exist.

I tried making a new style "Bullets with Sub-Bullets" which worked when every Bullet had Sub-Bullets, but if the previous paragraph didn't have Sub-Bullets and had a paragraph style of Bullet, I got this:

Bullet-with-Sub-Bullet-failure.jpg

There is also a problem that, if you have a bulleted list right above a heading that is formatted with Space Above (as most recommend as a best practice) then you get more space between the end of the bulleted list and the subsequent heading than you really need.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 2
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Keith:

You are absolutely right. In your situation, I would return to using the Span trick I explained at the top of this post.

~Barb 

span1.gif

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 1
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, all the documents in which I'm trying to deal with this have two columns per page, so can't use the Span spacing. 😞

I suspect the best might be to have my Bullet paragraph style with no extra spacing after, and then a Bullet with Space After style with Space After of one pica (my grid spacing) for the last bullet in a series.

I went through all my documents and, as appropriate, tagged end-of-list Bullet and Bullet-Indent-1 styled paragraphs with Bullet-with-Space-After and Bullet-Indenti-1-with-Space-After styles. Seemed to be pretty easy and no unexpected side effects. You can simply not apply the to the end of a list prior to a heading and that gets rid of the problem with too much white space between the end of the list and the following heading. I think I would recommend it, even if you don't have two columns.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0