Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign and Canto

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am posting on behalf of our Marketing dept. They use Canto DAM as their image management tool. When they go to export an Indesign produced magazine they are required to manually select all the images, which could be 100, that need to be converted to high resolution. Does anyone know of a way to do a select all? Apparently this does not occur if the files are stores locally on their computer.

kevin.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your question is not at all clear.

What do you mean they have to select the images? Export the InDesign magazine to WHAT? PDF? Some other format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They export to PDF or the entire INDD file package to the printer.

They are required to right click on each photo and select covert. Would prefer a select all of some kind. Only seems to happen with this Adobe-Canto connector.

Like I said, I am asking for another dept. so if the info seems unclear, my apologies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious why they need to swap out images? This was common 20 years ago but not today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is that a low res (compressed) verison of the image is used during creation/editing of the document and the high res is inserted when the final exported copy is created. I am not clear if this is a function of the indesign/canto connector.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said, that is something I would have expected 20 years ago but not something that InDesign is going to do automatically.

Your colleagues might get more out of this by coming here and giving us full details of their workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks. this what they had sent me:

When we create our flyers, it could have over 300 images (high resolution for print including product and beauty images). We desperately need a "select all images" to convert the low res images to high res images for when we send to print. Currently this has to be done individually. This is not efficient at all, it take a long time and could cause errors.

I will see if I can get more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep two seperate folders containing the publication images. One low rez, one high rez. When the publication is finished, close the document and re-name the lo-rez folder. Re-open the document and Indesign will ask to re-link. Manually re-link to the high-rez folder. You only have to re-link one file; Indy will automatically find the rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

can you show two screenshots of that tedious process for one single image?

One with the image selected and the menu action you have to do.

The other one after you did the menu action.

Also show the Links panel with the two screenshots so that we can see what happens to the placed image name and further details like Effective PPI and so on.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

English is not my native language but it seems that the solution is given here:

https://www.canto.com/integrations/indesign/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am hoping that your issue has been resolved till now. If not, please feel free to update this thread else let us know if any of the suggestions shared above helped you or not.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue still exists. The feedback i received on the idea to keep two separate folders was:

That doesn’t work because it assumes the files are local to our hard drives or servers. The photos need to be grabbed out of Canto’s platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recently had this same issue with the Canto plug-in. This is from Canto's Help Center: 

You can toggle the resolution of several assets by clicking on the column title "Resolution" while holding the CTRL (Windows) / COMMAND (macOS) key on your keyboard.

To change back from High-Res to Low-Res in bulk, you need to click on the column title "Resolution" while holding the SHIFT + CTRL (Windows) / COMMAND (macOS) key on your keyboard.

--Tressa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines