• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign and Dropbox - Please Help

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using InDesign and Dropbox for all my files for one client for years. After they hired me and gave me an office, I would access those files from my new office, as well as home office. A problem arose because I didn't want to share all of my other files with work, so I opened a business Dropbox there with my work email, and shared just those files with myself. That has been working well for several years. After a couple years, I removed my InDesign, and had the company subscribe for me there, so I could have free access on my own tablet without switching machines. It still worked well.

The last week, things were a little wonky, but I also had a modem go out. I had to sign back in to Dropbox after replacing it, but the accounts all stayed the same. They worked fine for a few days. Suddenly, today, I am in an InDesign document -that I was working in with no problem last night- and when I go to place an image, it says that it's not available. When I look at files in Dropbox they look fine, but when I look at them by trying to place an image, every image in dropbox has a big grey X on the lower left hand corner of the naked* thumb, and it says "the file cannot be accessed by the system." (*by "naked" I mean, no thumb image, only generic image that represents what kind of file it is along with the title). Ah, and 1 more item of note: All images that were placed in this document last night and before (from the same Dropbox), are linked perfectly, with no problem.

Is this a problem with Dropbox and the newest upgrade, Adobe, or something else like new path rules or something? I have a deadline. I'm under "stay at home" orders, and I can't seem to find the answer. Thank you to anyone that can help me troubleshoot this problem!

Dena "ArtistJoyful"

TOPICS
Import and export , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you're not using smart sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Why is that? How do you find out if you are, and if so, how do you turn it off? Thank you BobLevine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it makes it look like the file is available locally but it's not and it can time out waiting for it to download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think that I had somehow turned that on a while back, because I was experiencing that. I was putting up with that though. This is beyond that experience. I have many many images, and none of them are available for placement at all. They are there. I can download them, but not place them. 

Do you know where I go, or how to turn off that feature? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check your Dropbox preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines