• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

inDesign (and Illustrator) won't open Pantone Yellow U photos as is, instead opens it as CMYK Yellow

Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this weird problem: I'm going to print with a Riso machine, and I need to work with spot channel and assign each one to a print drum. I'm preparing a multichannel file in Photoshop, assign each channel a spot color, and export the photo as DCS 2.0, as I'm told this format manages the spot colors. Then I import it in inDesign (or Illustrator, it depends what I'm working on), where I can print as PostScript and obtain greyscale PDFs ready to send to my Riso, one for each spot color of my file.

All good, except the fact that I have a problem with the Yellow color: each time I import a DCS photo file, and the channel color happens to be Pantone Yellow U (commonly used as placeholder as it's the closest one to the RIso yellow ink), inDesign or Illustrator will assign that photo to the Yellow swatch color, and in Separations preview I see it as CMYK yellow.

Now, when I only have photos in that channel, it works fine, as it doesn't really matter for the Riso printing (ultimately I can decide which PDF prints in which color by switching drums), BUT if I happen to have both graphics and text (made in inDesign or Illustrator) AND images (DCS exported from Photoshot), the yollow objects show as spot colors, while the photo is imported as CMYK Yellow. This means that I will obtain 2 greyscale PDFs for 1 color, and that's not good.

Any thoughts on what can be happening here?

Thank you!!

Ps. one workaround could be not to use a spot color for the yellow, and use the CMYK yellow for all that I want to print with that color, but there must be something I'm doing wrong and I want to find out and solve it.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

It’s because you have named the channel Yellow, which InDesign reserves for process yellow—if you try to make a swatch named Yellow in ID you’ll get an error. 

Here I’ve named the channels using the Pantone names:

Screen Shot 42.pngScreen Shot 43.png

Here’s the revised file

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/dd3c5452-24fe-4b95-7699-c9ad95af537c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DCS is an older EPS format, you should be able to save and placed a regular .PSD file and get the spot channels into InDesign.

Here I have a grayscale with a Pantone Yellow spot channel and nothing in the gray channel:

Screen Shot 37.png

PSD placed in InDesign

Screen Shot 38.pngScreen Shot 39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. I have a 2 channel image (a pantone blue, and a pantone yellow). I have saved it as PSD, but I can't place it in InDesign. How should I save it?

Screenshot 2020-12-06 at 22.20.46.png

Any idea on what can be causing the issue of my Yellow spot color to not being recognised as such, when I export as DCS 2.0? I know that should work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don’t set the mode to Multichannel. Set up the document as a grayscale with a white background, add the two Spot Channels with the content, then save as PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again for your answer, I have done as you suggested, but when I import the PDS in InDesign or Illustrator, it only imports one of the 2 channels (the blue one), and as I go to the separations preview, I can see that the yellow channel is not imported. What is happening?

The workflow with the DCS 2.0 file works fine with all other spot colors, as they don't get messed up with the CMYK, I'm just trying to find a solution to avoid ending up with 2 different yellow colors in 1 file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Yellow showing as a Spot in Ink Manager—you don’t have it set to convert to process as I’m showing below?

If that’s not it can you share the Photoshop file via Dropbox or your CC account?

Screen Shot 41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but it just doesn't appear at all. It's not there. Here a link to the PSD file: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/a1a08162-8493-4c03-4b53-a2a87875153b

The original problem remains unaddressed.

Screenshot 2020-12-06 at 23.55.42.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s because you have named the channel Yellow, which InDesign reserves for process yellow—if you try to make a swatch named Yellow in ID you’ll get an error. 

Here I’ve named the channels using the Pantone names:

Screen Shot 42.pngScreen Shot 43.png

Here’s the revised file

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/dd3c5452-24fe-4b95-7699-c9ad95af537c

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Damn, I knew it must have been such a trivial issue! Quite obvious if you think about it, but I was so tired I could not think straight! Thanks Rob, now it all works fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines