• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign as a word processor - general suggestion to Adobe

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I write a lot. I hate MS Word. I love Hemingway.app - but that doesn't have a thesaurus. Also it doesn't have a function to write in a light text on a dark page. 

My eyes hurt when I write on a white screen. (They hurt now, ow!)

InDesign comes so close to being what I'd choose to use - but for that last thing. Any chance of a fix for that?

TOPICS
Feature request , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use InDesign's Story Editor, you can change the background and text colors in Preferences > Story Editor Display.

If you are just typing on a normal page, you can set the paper color (edit the [Paper] swatch in the Swatches panel) to the desired dark color, and set a Character Color (either on  the fly using Color/Swatches, or via a Character or Paragraph Style) to the desired light color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the Story Editor. Go to Preferences > Story Editor to customize the display.

~ Jane

jane-e_0-1618418763009.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has In Design been rebranded In Copy? Anyway…

Thanks for the replies. I already understood the Story Editor had this function. Problem is the Story Editor can't be resized, and the text is aligned top left and on a big screen that is just too odd.

It's just not right and is not designed for writing prose or copy for hours art a time.

I wonder why Adobe don't make a simple, comfortable writing tool, with all the unnecessary stuff shaved off, so we can all ditch MS Word for good. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because, while you may think otherwise, Word is the standard for this purpose.

InCopy is for the lack of better term a sister application to InDesign that allows for content creation and editing without touching the layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Word is fine, but it's a business tool. It's just 35 years old and so bloated. 

I love Adobe software, I'm not complaining, merely suggesting that the world is looking for a simpler, more comfortable way to write.

Rivals to Word, such as ProWritingAid, Ginger, WhiteSmoke, Writer.Com, Hemingway Editor, Antidote, Slick Write, Paper Rater etc. all show there's room for innovation, and maybe the sweet spot is yet to be found. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @TiMaJo 

Sme thoughts:

1. The Story Editor can be resized to any size you want.

2. Some features, such as the Paragraph Marks, are found in View > Story Editor
    jane-e_0-1619103526407.png
  3. Other choices for Word Processors:
    Mac: Pages
    Win: Word Pad
    Google Docs

4. In Word: Design Tab > Page Color, then change Type Color.
    jane-e_1-1619104009587.png

5. System-wide
    Windows: choose High Contrast
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-high-contrast-mode-on-or-off-in-windows-909e9d89-a0...

Mac: System Prefs > Accessibility
    jane-e_2-1619104315876.png

6. If you want the unnecessay stuff shaved off in Word, then edit your Ribbon. Create new tabs, remove tabs you don't use, and edit the tabs you keep to have only the features you use.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines