Highlighted

InDesign - Book Multi-Doc Page Numbering

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a book layout in InDesign, using multiple documents. So far, I have the pages numbered and updating with every document that is added. The problem that I am currently running into is that I want my page numbers to start on my "Table of Contents" and end on my "About the Author" page. Meaning, I want the numbering to exclude my "Cover" and "Backcover". 

I looked over several video tutorials but the only thing I found so far was changing the page numbering inside a single document under "Pages" > "Numbering and Section Options". Unless I missed something or did it wrong, the changes are not being applied to all of the documents linked in the book.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Topics

How to, Server developers, Sync and storage, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign - Book Multi-Doc Page Numbering

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a book layout in InDesign, using multiple documents. So far, I have the pages numbered and updating with every document that is added. The problem that I am currently running into is that I want my page numbers to start on my "Table of Contents" and end on my "About the Author" page. Meaning, I want the numbering to exclude my "Cover" and "Backcover". 

I looked over several video tutorials but the only thing I found so far was changing the page numbering inside a single document under "Pages" > "Numbering and Section Options". Unless I missed something or did it wrong, the changes are not being applied to all of the documents linked in the book.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Topics

How to, Server developers, Sync and storage, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in all the ways, to make table of content, you must define the paragraph styles for heading, then you include what style you want to be inserted in the TOC... so make another style for cover header for example. and do not include when you create the TOC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just add the headers you want to be included to the TOC.

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 1.12.14 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can control that in the Document Numbering Options dialog. Your book can have more than one page with the number 1. It's helpful, and usually a best practice, to set up their numbering options differently, however. Your front cover could include a Section Prefix such as "COVER", with the option to Include Prefix when Numbering Pages turned on. If you have other front matter, those pages often use a roman numerals style. (e.g. i, ii, iv, etc.), and you can set the section to start at 1. Your TOC file would also start at 1 and be set to an Arabic numerals style, while the rest of the book documents would be set with the same numbering style and Automatic Page Numbering checked. For consistency, you could name the back cover similar to the front cover, but if it's not showing anywhere in the document, it's not that important. See the attached screenshots for examples of these settings.

Book Panel

bookPanel.png

Front Cover

frontCover.png

Front Matter

frontmatter.png

TOC

toc.png

Back Cover

backCover.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines