• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign build a index base on the character styles

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I building a product catalogue with over 2000 products. Product code is with text block and product code has a different Character style. 

Now I need to build an index of app product codes with page references. 

Its there are why to make index automatically? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

I agree with Steve.

You could do this as a Table of Contents (in chronological order or in alphabetical order) if InDesign suupported pulling character styles into a TOC. It does not. 

Here is a feature request because you are not alone in asking for it. The more votes a request gets, the more it gets the attention of the InDesign engineering team. This won't solve your issue today, but voting may have an impact on a future release.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/20474899-table-of-contents-created-with-character-style

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably only if you write or someone else writes a script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Steve.

You could do this as a Table of Contents (in chronological order or in alphabetical order) if InDesign suupported pulling character styles into a TOC. It does not. 

Here is a feature request because you are not alone in asking for it. The more votes a request gets, the more it gets the attention of the InDesign engineering team. This won't solve your issue today, but voting may have an impact on a future release.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/20474899-ta...

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fortunately, Peter Kahrel was interested by this question 8 years ago!
Between us, I'm still amazed that some Adobe experts can ignore this kind of frankly basic stuff so many years later!

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/index_charstyles.html

You will just need "1 click" today!  😉

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to the readers of this thread to note that I totally disagree with this "correct" answer without any real relevance to the question asked!

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines