• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign button events barely functioning

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new to InDesign, so I can't even say if in the previous versions I would encounter the same problem or not, but while working in the 2021 version, like the title says, the button events are barely workable. I mean that from what I've tried so far (on release or tap, on click, on roll over and on roll off) the only button event that seems to work is on roll over. The rest doesn't. Has anyone encountered the same problem before and knows how to fix it? It's really frustrating, as I've ran out of ideas what could be wrong...

The preview function doesn't work for those events, and so don't the exported epub versions, so I know this isn't an issue of a lagging preview window.

(Also not all the actions work even for the roll over event)

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you exporting to interactive PDF, if so you'll have issues on mobile devices.

You can have a word or words or an image (such as a button shape) as a document hyperlink to say another page in the document, or to an external website. Some devices, for example, iPads, don't have rollover capability – only click – you should avoid multi-action buttons like On Click, On Roll Over, etc. Multi-state object (MSO) don’t work at all in an Interactive PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm exporting to epub (fixed layout) because I know that there are limitations to interactive pdfs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you viewing this? What actions are you applying to the buttons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean in the first question.. I'm mostly trying to view the actions in the EPUB interactivity preview, but even after exporting it and viewing it as a epub file already, the actions didn't work either.

For the buttons, most of them are either "Show/Hide buttons and forms", page navigations (either next page or a certain page number), and "Go to next/previous state". For the release or tap and click none of these work, and for roll over only "Show/hide buttons and forms" seems to be functioning properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Viewing it WHERE? You need to use a reader app capable of this and most of them are garbage. If you're on Mac or iPad, use the books app. It's the gold standard.

For Windows, Thorium is about the best there is. Thorium Reader – EDRLab

Finally, I would advise you stick to only "On tap or release" since it's the only one that works well on touch and with keyboard and to pay attention to what actions are supported in an EPUB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I realized that windows epub readers are bad most of the times, but after opening it on a mac in books app it didn't work either, so I'm not sure if it's the issue with viewing or indesign.

I changed the event from on click to release and tap now, and opened it in Thorium as well, and still nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what action are you applying to the buttons? Did you make sure it's supported in EPUB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show/hide buttons and forms, go to next page, go to page, animation, and go to next/previous state. From what I know all of these should be supported in epub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have multi state objects on the same page/spread as the button? Have you made sure not to overlap any objects on top of the buttons or other interactive objects? That last part is very important. You can't stack these things so make sure they're on the top layer AND that they are on the top of that layer with nothing else overlapping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making sure the buttons don't overlay helped with some of my issues (the release or tap and click events work for  show/hide buttons and forms now), so thank you for helping me with that! The "go to next page" action still doesn't work at all though..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you're new to InDesign and experimenting with interactive documents, it might be worth you trying out InDesign's Publish Online facility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It should work. Put them on their own layer at the very top of the stack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines