• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign can't pack whatever I do nor does it will make a PDF

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never had a problem with making package; now it doesn't work at all. Gives following message: InDesign can not pack file - Can not link neccesary linked files.

Also I can not print to PDF, in either way. I read former posts here about printing - tried them, but without succes.

Already downgraded the program; didn't work - upgraded again: didn't work. Should I deinstall?

Help please asap??

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@wobke362 Sounds frustrating, for sure. I'll take a swing at some ideas. I'm running 16.3 (Windows 10) and not experiencing any problems with packaging as I've just tested this now. What is your OS? Are you able to package any documents at all or is it only this particular file you can't? What is happening with your linked files? Does your preflight panel show any warnings? At what point in the packaging process do you get the error message? As soon as you click on File > Package? Or after you save the package to your system and the settings dialogue box appears?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should never, never print to PDF. Can you export to PDF?

Where are your linked documents (e.g. local hard drive, NAS, cloud...?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the images linked correctly or are you getting missing/modified link messages when you open the file?

Also, as per @Test Screen Name, always export to PDF, don't print.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/exporting-publishing-pdf.html

What version of InDesign and what operating system?

If this just started happening out of the blue without any recent upgrades or system changes, consider rebuiling cache/prefs.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I use the 16.3-version on a Windows 10 - 64bit; I update when my Creative Cloud tells me to. When I make a new magazine, I always put all the stuff I use in a folder, so it stays organized.

Good news! I solved this ennoying problem. Seemes that the pictures I used can not be .PNG's... Since I'm an autodidact with InDesign, I didn't know... This PNG-thing is not marked in the preflight-panel... So what I did is convert the PNG's to JPG's with Photoshop. Problem solved, because now I can export and make the package. I really didn't know that one can not use PNG's in the program. Hopefully this is also a problemsolver for other designers (although they probably are no autodidacts like me 😉 ) Thanks to all quick responders!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you solved it.
InDesign does support PNG do some degree, but there are different kinds of .png. Also you can confuse the system by saving a file named .png when it is in fact a .jpg. As Laubender I am curious about the breed/source of PNG that is causing the problem 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi wobke362,

could you pin-point the issue to a single placed PNG file?

I do every of my screenshots here in the forum as PNG. Just placed such a PNG and packaged the InDesign document without any problems. I'm on Windows 10 with a German InDesign 2021 version 16.3.0.24.

Could you share a sample InDesign document with a sample PNG file where you see the issue?
Just put it on Dropbox or a similar service and post the link.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - I'll try - never done this... let's see...: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogwseh2gduhp2dj/voorontwerp%20magazines.indd?dl=0

You see the two pictures of bookfronts? That are PNG's and they caused my problem. As such - my problem was over since I switched them with a JPG of that image. The first image on page 3 also causes a problem, but I didn't us it any more in the latest edition. This file is an example file. I didn't know there are different kinds of PNG-files that will or will not give a problem.

In the mean time I have your attention, why making an IDML-file? What is its benefit? Why does one make this kind of file and what is its purpose?

Thanks!

Greetings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you cannot copy linked files it may be a problem with priviledges or that you have a file name that is not allwoed on the destination drive. It can also sometimes be related to font restrictions.

Are you saving to the local harddisk? Cloud syncronised folders can also be problematic.
Packaging to desktop and moving to a network sometimes helps.

There was also an issue some days ago where a user was having problems with idml file. Try packaging without  creating idml or pdf. If this works then try without pdf and without idml seperately (unless you do not need these). Note that you can set the pdf settings for the PDF that is included that can sometimes be the pain point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi wobke362,

we also need both PNG files on Dropbox to test all this.

Or only one of them if you are not able to do the package with only this PNG file placed.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't see your reply - sorry. I'll put them now on dropbox and post the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi wobke262,

thanks for the PNG files.

I had no issue to package your InDesign document where the two PNG files were placed and linked.

One difference to your situation:

I had none of the files stored on a OneDrive volume.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes OneDrive is a problem in many workflows, and I hope Microsoft and Adobe can get talking about how these services work, and perhapps get more explicit error message. I should explicitly name OneDrive when I ask about cloud syncronised folders in future. The problem with operating systems that are obfuscating how they work especially when it comes to file handling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi wobke362,

never used OneDrive for my workflows, but I know from e.g. Dropbox that there is a SmartSynch feature that I have never enabled that cause issues as well. Perhaps OneDrive has something similar. It may help if you disable this in case it is turned on.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does indeed and it should always be disabled no matter what cloud storage you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - so if I understand correctly - I simply have to arrange a folder on my C-drive and put it all in there until I made the design complete and packaged it. After all is done, I'll move that folder on my OneDrive, otherwise my laptop will crash in a while.. 😄 One day I'll get myself an Apple; they say those are much better for this kind of jobs.

When my time allowes it; I must take an InDesign and Illustrator class. Fascinating programs, getting the hang of InDesign a bit - Illustrator is a challenge to overcome.

Thanks for all your help! Hope other who encounter this problem are helped now also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple also sell their laptops underdimensioned and push users to use iCloud… different brand same kind of problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Ok - so if I understand correctly - I simply have to arrange a folder on my C-drive and put it all in there until I made the design complete and packaged it."

Yes, I would test that. In case this is working and we can pin-point the problem to OneDrive see into that:

How sync works
03/15/2021, 2 minutes to read

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/sync-process

The OneDrive sync app
03/05/2021, 2 minutes to read

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/one-drive-sync

Maybe you find something that you can turn off so that your issue with OneDrive is resolved?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll do that! Thank you. I'll be back to let you know. But that 'll have to wait a little; my daily job is calling... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking into this only an hour ago with a file I was having problems packing, and I was getting the same alert about not being able to link necessary linked files. Before I got bogged down looking through all of the links' individual filenames I just tried packaging to my desktop instead of the server. Worked immediately, then copied back onto the server. Worth a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Spenno,

what's your operating system?

If Windows 10 could it be that the target folder of the package has a path that is too long?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Uwe - sorry for the confusion - I don't have a problem now. Just gave my solution to the OP. I'm on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines