Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[InDesign] Can't select/remove object in any way

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I seem to have encountered a strange issue with an InDesign file, where there is an object on a Master Page in one of the book files, that I want to remove, yet I cannot even select it (not even using force-select), see screenshot below for more detail. It's as if it is embedded into the page/background somehow, even though it's a text box as far as I can tell. I tried deleting the Master Pages with that item, then importing Master Pages without that object from other files in the Book, but then said object magically appears on the newly imported Master Pages as well, even though it's not there in any other file within the Book. Any ideas? It's the "Return to Table of Contents" box.

setfiretoflames_0-1587027098503.png

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Did you check for a locked layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To override a master page item, hold down Cmd + Shift (Mac) or Ctrl + Shift (Windows) and click on the item. Then you can select it and delete it if desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I said force-selecting it did not work, that's what I meant. That combo does nothing on this particular item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the A-Master the parent master in that file, or is A based on another master? Can you show us the Master page section of the Pages panel? Or can you share a copy of the file? (Deleting content first is fine.)

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Here's a screenshot:

setfiretoflames_0-1587101060697.png

When I mouse over any Master Page, it says that "None" was applied to them, so I guess that might be the Parent Master? It's non-selectable, though, unlike other Master Pages (I can select it, but cannot open it for edits or anything).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try resetting your preferences? Could the file be corrupt? If you rebuilt the file does it still exist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I've tried resetting my preferences, but it did not have an effect on this issue. I've no way of determining whether or not the file is corrupt, I mean, it might be, but who knows. It's a rather large file from a client, so rebuilding is probably out of the question, I'd rather just mask the unwanted text boxes and leave it at that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the frame locked? Choose Object>Unlock all on Spread to find out. Or is it on a layer which is locked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That selection is inactive for me, it was one of the first things I checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check for a locked layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, because I’m a Supreme Idiot. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thank you,
Laura Holancin
LHG Graphics
[Personal info removed]

**PROOF DISCLAIMER** If you are viewing a proof sent by us please note to check all spelling and layout carefully. Upon acceptance of the Work, Client accepts responsibility for any further processes in which this work is used (e.g. film output, printing, etc.) Designer is not responsible for errors occurring in this work or projects related to this work after acceptance of the Work by the Client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guilty too ;D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi ,

Thank you for reaching out and confirming that the issue is resolved. For more information on layers, you can check this article

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of your masterss are based on other masters so it is not an override issue. Did you try saving as .idml and reopening?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same/a similar issue. I have objects that appear to be "in" or from a master page, but simply don't exist on any layer and cannot be unlocked, or forced to be unlocked, or overridden on a page as described by the OP. Very frustrating. The only workaround appears is to put another object above them to hide them. I have tried quitting, resaving. Saving as in .idml but no luck yet in finding their location and deleting them. Any suggestions gratefully received. 

Cheers, Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I had this same issue & what I did was select & right click on the item on the Master page, there should be a selection called "Allow Master Item Overrides". Once I did this I could finally delete the item in the document. 

Dom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, but the item isn't showing up on the Master pages anywhere. Just on the 2 pages in the document. I cannot select it or anything. It is not locked. Very frustrated right now, file was supplied to me and I have to make changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just informed that I should unlock the layer, and I am confirming that I am a Supreme Idiot. Leaving now with a shuffling walk of shame...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm have a lunch for Supreme Idiots tomorrow. There whouls be a whole bunch of us. Hope you can make it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines