• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign cannot change group name(s) in the Layer Panel

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally I will single click on the group name in the layers panel and I can change the name. From this morning it now flashes (as if it is opening the box to type a name then closing) and doesn't allow me to change the name.

Is there any workaround for this?

I'm running Indesign V16.0 (no updates available on creative cloud) on a 2017 Macbook Pro running macOS Big Sur version 11.0.1. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Having the Layers panel as a floating panel allows me to change the name of a group or layer. When it is embedded in the side panel it does not.

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 10.57.47.pngScreenshot 2020-11-24 at 10.57.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't we have the same or a similar issue lately?

Check the forum. There is a workaround, a script by Rob Day.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the script, thanks, and it is: 

var d = app.dialogs.add({name:"Page Item Name"});
var tf = d.dialogColumns.add().textEditboxes.add({editContents:"", minWidth:250});
d.show();
var r = tf.editContents;
d.destroy();

var s = app.documents.item(0).selection[0];
s.name = r;

I couldn't get it to work and to be fair I don't fancy running this everytime I want to change the name of any object in my layer panel. I don't have that kind of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

the object that you want to rename must be (visibly) selected on the page.

Best,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a release version of Big Sur with InDesign 2021 on a MacBook Air. Had no problem renaming layers on my machine:

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 2.27.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP is stating that it's groups in particular giving them trouble. I have no trouble multiclicking to rename groups, but I am not on Big Sur yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problems renaming Groups in released Big Sur on InDesign 2021:

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 4.03.21 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that you use the Layers window as a floating panel, where I have it embedded on the right hand side panel.

I moved the Layers window and when it is a floating panel I can change the name exactly as you have. When it is embedded on the right it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

I have no idea why you think that telling me your version works is helpful. Thanks, but what are you trying to achieve here? I'm guessing most people's works fine hence why I think there is a problem with mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe in another thread pointed to this thread and a couple others as possible evidence that there is a bug in Big Sur which is making it difficult to name objects in layers. I'm not trying to help you with your problem, but it appears not to be a Big Sur problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you post a potential bug, a natural conclusion is that people will try to replicate the bug and report back if it is an actual bug or something else going. But ... 

You mention in your OP that "Normally I will single click on the group name". Single click does not work; you have to click a few times to get the namechange option activated. Have you tried that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that sort of makes sense Steve. There appears to be a bigger debate about Indesign and Big Sur. 

Brianp311: On my trackpad I have the option of gently tapping the trackpad once to make a selection. Pressing harder on the trackpad will produce a click, for the past two years this one press click has allowed me to change the name. Now it doesn't work. The dialogue box opens exactly where it should on top of the > <group> name but it dissapears within a half second. It looks like it is opening the box to change the name and then very quickly closing.

(clicking twice with a pause, without a pause, three clicks with and without various pauses have no effect)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe,

That works, It's not the most elegant solution but it does do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not on OS X, I'm on Windows 10 so I cannot help or test directly.

What I wonder: If the input device ( perhaps in conjunction with the operating system ) could be the issue?

To rename an item in the Layers panel one has to click one time and then after a very short pause a second time. Do not confuse that with a double-click. A double-click will not work to get access to the edit field.

Maybe InDesign is interpreting the two clicks with the little pause between as a double-click?

I'd check how a double-click is defined speedwise in the operating system.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my trackpad I have the option of gently tapping the trackpad once to make a selection. Pressing harder on the trackpad will produce a click, for the past two years this one press click has allowed me to change the name. Now it doesn't work. The dialogue box opens exactly where it should on top of the > <group> name but it dissapears within a half second. It looks like it is opening the box to change the name and then very quickly closing.

(clicking twice with a pause, without a pause, three clicks with and without various pauses have no effect).

I also changed each of the settings for my trackpad in settings and this hasn't helped. 

I also tried removing and reinstalling Indesign and this hasn't helped either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having the Layers panel as a floating panel allows me to change the name of a group or layer. When it is embedded in the side panel it does not.

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 10.57.47.pngScreenshot 2020-11-24 at 10.57.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines