• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign capitalising every other letter? (just indesign no other adobe apps / windows apps)

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I am on a Win10 machine with the latest windows updates. running Indesign 14. When typing into a text box, ThE tExT aPpEaRs LiKe ThIs.

It only does this in Indesign, not photoshop or any non-Adobe app.

I have yet to find anything about this being mentioned anywhere else online?

I've connected remotely to the PC via another machine and it still does it even through the remote keyboard so it's not my keyboard that's playing up.

Any ideas? I am having to try installing another version of InDesign in the meantime

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

So I managed to get this issue resolved.

Caps lock was enabled on the keyboard which was causing the issue. disabling caps lock was the solution. As mentioned we use remote access software so someone had pressed it on the keyboard in the office. Its weird that only InDesign displayed this behaviour with the caps lock. None of the other Adobe apps have this problem? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/troubleshooting-weird-indesign-problems-101-error-new/td-p/1...

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything in that page has failed to rectify the issue. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall the OS which I really am not planning to do as its only affecting InDesign and nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you try to ask about it ConnectWise support?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

I have also tried installing InDesign 2019. That didnt work so I did a complete uninstall of all adobe apps using the cleaner tool.

I then installed a brand new deployment of 2021 apps (idd ilus ps) and the same issue is still happening

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you uninstalled and reinstalled did you trash your InDesign preference file? If not then that could possibly be helpful. It will bring the program back to its factory defaults and hopefully eliminate this unusual behavior.

To trash preferences on a PC:

You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching InDesign and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

To do so: On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>. Make sure that InDesign is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files in this manner is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for this update. I had already tried both methods from another forum to a similar, but not identical issue. (delete pref folder from appdata/roaming, but instead, I renamed the parent folder to something else and also tried the ctrl + alt + shift method)

It didn't work.

I've done a system scan with svc /scannow, no errors. The next thing to try I guess is chkdsk but I really dont anticipate that this will resolve the issue,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this happens with every file and every font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing. Make sure there's no paragraph or character styles assigned to that text...something that would cause this might a random grep style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Existing files, new files. Every font

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Font? Style applied that has a GREP.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GMTA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Font Styles: None

Paragraph Styles: Basic Paragraph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I managed to get this issue resolved.

Caps lock was enabled on the keyboard which was causing the issue. disabling caps lock was the solution. As mentioned we use remote access software so someone had pressed it on the keyboard in the office. Its weird that only InDesign displayed this behaviour with the caps lock. None of the other Adobe apps have this problem? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you say not all things to us. How enabled CAPS LOCK can work only through InDesign but was ignored by another software? 

>> It only does this in Indesign, not photoshop or any non-Adobe app.

Is this your words? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

caps lock only applies when youre physically typing at the keyboard with caps lock enabled.

User is using remote access software so the letter case is determined by the keyboard used for remote access.

For some weird reason, InDesign was alternating between capitals as the Caps lock was enabled on local keyboard. Turning off caps lock stopped InDesign from applying capital letters to every other letter. 

>> It only does this in Indesign, not photoshop or any non-Adobe app.

>>>>Is this your words? 

It is my words. I am the companies IT guy. I was physically at the keyboard and turned off caps lock and got it working.

I can demonstrate it in a video, if you like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't be angry!)) I just wondering from this strange behavior of InDesign and don't beleive it. Thanks for your last post. What remote software do you use it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies if I sounded angry. We use Connectwise. I haven't tried to replicate this issue with any other software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what is happening to me.  Remoting in using Connectwise to InDesign and I'm having the alternating CapsLock issue.  Thank you for posting your success and details, will check if caps lock got tapped somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Windows 10 Pro. No other software is affected on my work PC. I have contacted my IT department but they are as stumped as me. I am using the latest version of Indesign. Fortunately I have access to an older Mac laptop and CC, so I can still get work done in the office on that. Has this officially been acknowledged as an bug by Adobe yet? Looking for a solution because it's driving me mad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you use too Connectwise? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines