• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign, Catalina, and new Macbook Pro 16" problems and issues

Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently moved from a 2012 Macbook Pro running El Capitan (because I didn't want to give up Fireworks) to a brand-spanking-new Macbook Pro 16" running Catalina. My OS is current and my InDesign is 15.0.1. When I upgraded, I decided to go all fresh. I didn't migrate. I started with all fresh software and only imported files as I've needed them. 
- I continue to have random crashes, upon wake up, when InDesign is hidden, and sometimes for no reason at all.

- I am having a lot of permissions issues. I notice my Photoshop has a checkbox in the Security & Privacy section settings on my MBP but InDesign does not. Is it suppose to? After a week of working on a file, some of the images suddenly turned black and ID told me "You don't have permission" to access these files. (I've already tried the Mac fix for permissions, which hasn't seemed to help.
- Sometimes when I go to open files or images, they appear greyed out. They still can be clicked on and opened. (Weirdness.)

- InDesign is still sluggish at times (though better than 15.0.0). It lags, I get beachball spins, and for what I've paid for all my newness, I am beginning to think I was better off living in the 2012s.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any third party plugins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to my knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I will try in early January when my 16 '' MBP will be there and I hope to be able to provide answers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it only InDesign having the problem or anything strange happening in other apps?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mostly InDesign. Having gone from a 2012 El Capitan to 2019 Catalina, there has been some relearning as all my software is a newer version. Mostly I notice the InDesign issues because I spend a lot of time there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three major changes were done at once:

• Upgraded Software
  • New OS
  • New hardware

It's important to know if it's just ID or other programs; other programs would point to an OS or hardware issue. Spend some time in the other programs--both Adobe and non-Adobe--to see if the problem happens there. You can uninstall and reinstall the software and then repair/reinstall the OS. It's possible the hardware could have an issue (such as RAM). I would work from the top of the list down--you have to eliminate the possibilities. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to be an Adobe issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a conflict somewhere. You'd be amazed at how obscure some of these can be.

Are you using a font manager?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not use a font manager other than font book, which I believe is part of Mac. In fact, I didn't migrate all of my many fonts, except for a few that were needed for older files I was still working on. Do you think it is a font issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would present itself as an issue with a single document more than the entire application.

Can you create a new user account and try everything there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still not clear what this sentence means: "It appears to be an Adobe issue."

Does it mean:

• ALL Adobe programs,
  • Only InDesign,
  • Only a single InDesign document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i made few test with the new MBP 16'' and everything working fine. No issues with Indesign or Photoshop.

I think it's more a permission issue or tuning in the Apple MacOs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

During the past week, I have not had any permission problems. I hope that continues. I still see some greyed out items when I go to open some files, but they are still clickable. (I do not understand this.) Today, I was adding a new scanner, and when I went to set the Privacy settings for that, I discovered new settings for my Adobe products. There was now an option to checkbox/okay Full Disk Access items (it wasn't there before) and Files and Folders. I believe this is what finally resolved the permission issues, but only time will tell. I have no idea why those options weren't visible before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines