• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign Catalog with data merge

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm working on a tools catalog made in CorelDRAW but i want to move it in Indesign. The catalog is separated by multiple categories from mechanical tools to wood and plastic products, electrical and so on (~5000 products plus products that have different characteristics).

What i want to do:
-i want to make a database in excel with fields and add those fields in the Indesign template.

My problem:
-how do i make indesign to add automatically the number of lines for products with more characteristics?

Here is an example:
[![enter image description here][1]][1]

[1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/qiOeS.png
Some products have one characteristic and some products have 20 or more

pavelg30188050_1-1602763854640.png

excel list

pavelg30188050_3-1602764470013.png

the  results i want

pavelg30188050_2-1602764443734.png

TOPICS
Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

There are a number of threads on this subject; here is one. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/catalog-data-merge-plugins/m-p/10466740?page=1#M142541

I can only speak for the plug-in that I use, but there are doubtlessly designers here who could give you informaton about some of the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The built-in data merge cannot handle this sort of complex setup. You will need a third-party catalog plug-in to automate this. I use EasyCatalog, but there are several options available. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you give me some more examples please? i intend to do some research on every one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are a number of threads on this subject; here is one. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/catalog-data-merge-plugins/m-p/10466740?page=1#M142541

I can only speak for the plug-in that I use, but there are doubtlessly designers here who could give you informaton about some of the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines