• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 14.0.2 - Slow Performance & Crashes Constantly On Windows 10

New Here ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC 14.0.1, is crashing constantly, cannot handle simple commands like control F, or saving, or printing, without taking a minute or longer. I am working on a 100 page document with all text except two tiny logo images. Saving one page of the document as a high res pdf takes minutes. I have tired every option selected to make InDesign work better, setting display performance to fast display, uninstalling completely and re-installing, recreating the document from scratch.

When I am using InDesign I have all other programs closed completely. Only InDesign running. Also I have tried working without being connected to the internet, same issues of crashing and taking too long to perform simple keyboard commands.

Let me mention, I have been working with InDesign for over 7 years!!

I have a brand new, one week used only by me, 2018 OMEN Gaming Laptop - Here are the specs - Windows 10

• 8th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H Processor, Quad-Core, 2.3GHz up to 4.0GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • 12 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (upgradable with 2 accessible memory slots).
  • 128 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD.
  • 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD

Please give us a product that works, since we pay for it.

Message was edited by: Glenn Lovette to reflect that my version is 14.0.2 NOT 14.0.1

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

You did not mention trashing your InDesign preferences. Given that it is a new computer it is unlikely that corrupt preferences could be causing your issues but it is certainly worth a try.

To do so on a PC:

You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching InDesign and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not mention trashing your InDesign preferences. Given that it is a new computer it is unlikely that corrupt preferences could be causing your issues but it is certainly worth a try.

To do so on a PC:

You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching InDesign and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

To do so:

On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>. Make sure that InDesign is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create  new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Do you have any third party plug-ins installed (either for InDesign or your operating system). If so disable them and see if it helps. I know that you said that you'd tried working with all other programs closed but that may not have included plug-ins.

Also try substituting fonts that came with the system for the fonts that you are using to see if a corrupt font or multiple corrupt fonts could be your problem.

Finally, please understand that what you are experiencing is not something that is being widely reported by users so assuming that it is the result of bad software is short sighted. Despite your machine being brand new the possibility exists that there is something wrong with your computer. You can try contacting Adobe Customer Care Contact Customer Care . They can run a diagnostic on your machine and possibly see what the problem is. You also might want to contact Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had to call, but had a technician fix the issue. It was CORRUPT PREFERENCES, which is Adobe's Fault, certainly not mine and certainly not a brand new computers fault.

I believe my experience, description, analysis of your programs bug was hardly short sighted.

I have NO PLUGINS installed.

I have NO FONTS installed other than the ones that came with the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Glenn:

So glad to hear you were able to resolve this issue.

As a head up, this is a user-to-user forum, staffed by volunteers who are users like you. Using typography to yell us may make you feel better, but you are actually directing your frustration at other users who don't care whose fault something is. We just want to help you find a solution.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Glenn,

We are glad to hear that you are all set. There are multiple factors both internal and external to InDesign application that can lead to preferences corruption. I would request if you can share the old preferences folders. That will help us reproduce the issue at our and find the root cause of the issue.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines